MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
meep meep!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 16th October I had a minor crash in my MCS. It's a slightly complicated story to explain here, but I was trying to turn right onto a main road and ended up slamming into the side of a car coming from my right while I was checking for gaps in the traffic to my left. The thing is to my right a large white van had flashed me out so I wasnt expecting anything to come from that direction.

The long and short of it is that as there are no witnesses (the van driver didnt stick around) it'll probably turn out to be partial blame, so I'll lose my no claims. Thats going to push my insurance back up well over £1000 again. As I am currently trying to renovate my house I cannot afford this so it looks like my little buddy Blue (the car!) is going to have to go. :(

No real reason for posting this, I just lurk here mostly and absorb the MINI vibe, just thought I'd share my pain with some fellow MINI drivers. Nobody else seems to understand how gutted I am that this has happened.

One upside is that I only had minor bumper damage (that has been quoted at £700 to replace!) whereas the Fiesta I hit is almost certainly a write-off. Tough little bugger. Oh and some how this has made the steering column knock as well, which is being fixed under warranty tomorrow..

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Bloody lucky to get the steering fixed under warranty after a collision!!

It's never happened to me, but I do understand how you must feel. The only thing I can suggest is to ring around and try to find cheaper insurance quotes again, Adrian Flux and performance specific insurers perhaps?

I hope you don't have to resort to anything too drastic :(

·
meep meep!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ButtonIt said:
Bloody lucky to get the steering fixed under warranty after a collision!!
I know. I went straight to the dealership after the accident when I noticed the steering knock just to make sure it was safe to drive to work the following week. I half expected them to tell me to make an appointment and come back then. But to my surprise and pleasure they took it straight round the back put it up on a ramp and said they'd replace it under warranty as there was a known issue with some steering columns.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is exactly the same as an accident I had nearly 3 years ago. Was turning right at a junction, the car on my left stopped and gave a little wave and I couldn't see anything on the right so pulled out......................into the front wing of a black cab doing about 40mph on a narrow and blind road. I had to accept blame, and the guy who owned the cab went to town on me. Initial evaluation by the driver of the cab was £250-350 for the wing and some beating, but my insurance was billed for over £1,200, the :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: replaced the whole side of the cab. I know how you feel mate, but if this accident has taught me anything, I now am very careful turning right at junctions, and its nearly 3 years on now. Hope that this gets resolved quickly and quietly, with as little cost to you as possible.

All the best,

Adam

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Been there, done that. Don't trust someone to flash you out in future, its actually illegal (shocking, isn't it...)

If you want to know how to 'work around' your insurance issue. PM me. All is not lost.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I probably qualify for the worlds worst driver myself, so please don't take this the wrong way!

- I once had a test of my skills (or lack of) with an advanced driving instructor, and one interesting thing they told me that I still remember is that you have to basically ignore anyone flashing their lights, or beeping their horn, and make your own mind up about whether or not to pull out.

This is probably the only thing I remember, but it's saved me a few times. ( And unfortunately I would have thought the insurance co. would take the same view and make you responsible too )

·
Registered
241 Posts
I feel your pain mate.

My very first accident happened pretty much the same as yours , car flashed me out into traffic then an Astra slammed into me, no one stuck around to be witness, insurance company put it down to my mistake.

I was in a T reg Mini Traveller which was written off, she was my first car and it totally sucked seeing her taken off to the scrap yard on the back of a trailer :(

Hope everyting works out ok for you.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Know the feeling and share your pain. My insurance was £2100 at the first quote after someone ran me of the road into a parked car and drove off - no witnesses. I copped the lot blamewise. Managed to get it down to £1400 now with 0 no claims, so should reduce significantly this year. Just dont buy a Poxhuall please!

·
MINI-no-more
1,415 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you are able to sort something out. My MCS was damaged this week by a 'flying' wheelie bin in gale force winds, so I do understand some of how you're feeling :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts