MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am indeed a newbie here, bought a mcs on a late 54 plate (facelifted model i believe) and absolutely love it!

I have been looking at various chipping services with the promise of boosting power to 200bhp plus...is this sales talk or is there a benefit for paying more for a better quality remap so to speak?

I am also interested in getting a new catback system to give the beast a deeper note and add a few bhp in the process, i am currently looking at a quicksilver exhaust....i am after a note that idles nicely but roars when you give it the beans.....am i better of going for a custom system that can taylor the exhaust note to how i want it.....or is it better to buy a standard fit system...?

I am aware of the advantages of getting a 15% pulley, however it is a company car and as such i am looking at a remap and exhaust as they can be be removed/reset with minimal ease if so required.....

My overall objective here really is to increase bhp to at least 200bhp with the exhaust....does this sound reasonable..?

Does anyone have any sugestions?! Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I've seen as much as 195bhp from a standard car in stock form, cat backs and air filters show very little improvement over stock, this is why JCW listed them as; sound kits.

For the price you can get a 15% pulley fitted this will give you the most reward for the £ spent and let the next owner enjoy some of the extra trq and hp across the rpm as well that you were lucky enough to experience:biggrin:

JawF430 makes 270+bhp with a stock cat back :nice:

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Like Paul said....if you want a cheap sound kit then go with the exhaust and filter but for power it can only be hard mods to the engine. e.g. pulleys, cam, head.

Remap?? on a stock car its not worth the money in my opinion. Ignore all claims of more power they are either leaning the engine out or increasing the rev limit to make up hp numbers. Single most best mod you could do is a 15-17%pulley.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so a pulley sounds fairl essential in that case, silly question but whats the difference between 15 and 17? i dont want to turn my car into a rocket as i have stand mcs brakes etc so will it all beok with standard mcs kit? i already have a powertec induction kit so maybe a pulley and belt change, new spark plugs, remap and exhaust?

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I'd suggest a GTT or RMW manifold/cat and a 1320 or RMW remap (These are live maps, not a plug and play job!)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
1320minis near Bedford, they used to be a sponser but of those out there I'd say due to them doing live maps on a rolling road they are the best.... avoid the plug and play maps like the plague (bluefins) on the S IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was thinking minispeed in west byfleet? i did some research on where to get things done and looks like i can it all done there? Or maybe use one of these companys:
...... Angel tuning
........Chiptronics
........Paramount performance
........E-maps

Any advice would be great!

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
TBH I have not heard great things of many of the classic mini tuners work on the R53 and R56 ... However I used many of them on the classic and found them good. i even used Minispeed in the past.

I usually would refer to ThinkMINI in worcestershire, 1320 near bedford, Minimania or GTT ... however in terms of map tuning 1320 are the only ones I have real knowledge of after several people whos cars i'm impressed with have used them.

·
a.k.a. BrainRush
160 Posts
IMO don't go for anything more than a 15% pulley as it'll approach the max rated rpm of the supercharger. that being said a lot of people on these forums have had no issues with 17s or even 19s. a descent way to improve acceleration might be smaller/lighter wheels, just a though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts