MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

anyone here got an aftermarket MCS exhaust header but with orginal catback exhaust?

I heard from alot of people on the forum say that catback exhaust is a waste of money on a MCS, just want to know is the header is a better alternative.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
asinn said:
hi guys,

anyone here got an aftermarket MCS exhaust header but with orginal catback exhaust?

I heard from alot of people on the forum say that catback exhaust is a waste of money on a MCS, just want to know is the header is a better alternative.
I don't think you're going to get a lot of feedback on this.
Don't know who " alot of people" are but calling a cat back a waste of money isn't true.
Unless you're talking performance in the upper RPM range (serious track time) then the stock header has shown itself more than adequate for the street.
A header on a stock system really would be a waste of money since every well designed aftermarket system flows better than the stock unit.

Overpriced, yea probably. Waste of money, no.

The preceding is just my opinion.

·
Registered
444 Posts
asinn said:
hi guys,

Sounds like you might have this backwards.
Being that I have both an aftermarket header and catback, I would have to agree with obeiave on his reply. Actually I think the price is rather fair for a good catback like the Miltek being stainless and all. :blblack:

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
onasled said:
Sounds like you might have this backwards.
Being that I have both an aftermarket header and catback, I would have to agree with obeiave on his reply. Actually I think the price is rather fair for a good catback like the Miltek being stainless and all. :blblack:
You're probably right. Especially now that the Magnaflow I bought 2 years ago is priced over $100 cheaper now .....D'OH!.... :rolleyes: ;)

Looks like you guys had fun at the pulley party.

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
this is interesting

I added a cat back exhaust and dyno'd before and after and saw no change in output whatsoever

yet I've seen the headers on a Cooper S go white on a dyno run... (with a 15% pulley)

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
IML337 said:
this is interesting

I added a cat back exhaust and dyno'd before and after and saw no change in output whatsoever

yet I've seen the headers on a Cooper S go white on a dyno run... (with a 15% pulley)
What does going white have to do with performance?
Running lean and generating too much heat can do that with no gain in HP whatsoever. And adding in the 15% pulley negates your whole argument. You're adding data points not in the original debate.
The statement was, aftermarket exhausts were a waste of money. I've seen otherwise.

Others have seen a change, you haven't, that's the performance thing in a nutshell. Everybody's right and everybody's wrong. :rolleyes:

Still just my opinion ;)

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
Yes, true - I should have explained myself better. I fitted a cat back exhaust to a standard Cooper S and saw no gains whatsoever. I didn't quite understand it either, but a power gain was the only reason I wanted it, and I didn't get it (the guy at the shop promised 6bhp at the wheels) so I returned the system for a refund. The big name cat back systems are almost prohibitively expensive by the time they get to Aus :(

Then, with a 15% pulley, I saw the extractors go white on a dyno run. Wouldn't that indicate a restriction? The a/f was 11:1 so that's hardly lean... I'm no expert, and I know there's a reduction pulley involved - I'm just thinking out aloud :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
The stock header works good if you replace the restricting kink with a pipe bend and hog out the precat. It will flow much better but takes longer for the cat to warm up. Jetcoating or some other similar heat retention ceramic coatine on the header from the flange down past the collecter helps to speed up the cat firing up. You end up with a pretty good bottom end/midrange header that compliments a mild street tune like a 15% pulley and HAI. The 2 1/4 inch stock exhaust diameter seems to be just as good as the 2 1/2 inch pipe as maintaining exhaust velocity probably makes up for less restriction.

Just a few observations after spending time and money on worthless goodies.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
IML337 said:
Yes, true - I should have explained myself better. I fitted a cat back exhaust to a standard Cooper S and saw no gains whatsoever. I didn't quite understand it either, but a power gain was the only reason I wanted it, and I didn't get it (the guy at the shop promised 6bhp at the wheels) so I returned the system for a refund. The big name cat back systems are almost prohibitively expensive by the time they get to Aus :(
Thanks for the details. I got about 5HP at the wheels from my Magnaflow.
Import prices are a pain I'm sure. You have my sympathy on that one.
IML337 said:
Then, with a 15% pulley, I saw the extractors go white on a dyno run. Wouldn't that indicate a restriction? The a/f was 11:1 so that's hardly lean... I'm no expert, and I know there's a reduction pulley involved - I'm just thinking out aloud :)
At high enough RPMs that's not that unusual. From what I remember 11:1 is pretty average at WOT on an extended wind up.

oldads info is good I'm sure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.