MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all UK MCS JCW owners....

Please can you tell me which insurance company you are with ?

Quite a lot of companies will not insure modified cars and I just wanted to get a feel for the most popular insurance companies you are all using.

I appreciate that cost is not always the deciding factor, as the quality of the policy can count for more, especially when the car costs over £22,000.

Many thanks for your time and effort in advance,
CSW.

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ABG said:
Liverpool Victoria - have the Works on their standard list of cars which makes life much easier. :)
Great - Oh, according to confused.com the DVLA do not have the Works listed as a vehicle type/style. I have the exact text if you are intrested....

Furthermore - Everybody else, please continue to provide me with the name of your insurance company (MCS JCW owners only though)

Thanks all,
CSW.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Direct line will insure it as a straight up Works if you bought new, or as an upgraded car if you had it retro fitted.

Costs were:
Standard Cooper S: £510 per annum (36 yr old, full no claims, rural location, no claims protection)
Converted to Works: £570 per annum.

You might get cheaper else where, but when you have an accident you want to have insurance from a big company that isn't going to get picky. Its in their intrest to settle quickly and efficently with no hassles,

·
Registered
126 Posts
First Alternative. They have the works on their list.

good quote too, £500 less than MINI insurance :D

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'd think a little before paying 550 quid extra (that's about $1000 US per year additional for the JCW package, as I understand your posts) to insure the JCW package.

The only way you're going to suffer an insured loss of the JCW package is if the car is basically a total loss in a wreck that's your fault, or if the car is otherwise lost or stolen (i.e., burned, etc., which is covered by your comprehensive coverage -- not collision). Of course, if it's the other guy's fault, HIS insurance must pay.

Some folks may decide that such an exposure may not be worth insuring. Your risk of such a loss is related to your driving habits, etc., some drive crazier than others. But maybe there are alternatives to insuring the whole JCW package: will your insurer allow you to purchase "comprehensive" coverage only on the package (covers fire, theft, vandalism, flood, etc.), but not a collision? That would save big bucks. Collision coverage is probably 75% of the extra premium.

Or, could you simply take the risk that you're not going to suffer a total loss of the car (the engine, in many wrecks, isn't damaged significantly and can be salvaged) in a collision that's your fault? If your JCW package is financed, this may not be an option since the bank will require it. But if not, it's worth consideration.

Just my 2c worth, maybe worth a look?

·
Registered
336 Posts
vagt6 said:
I'd think a little before paying 550 quid extra (that's about $1000 US per year additional for the JCW package, as I understand your posts) to insure the JCW package.

The only way you're going to suffer an insured loss of the JCW package is if the car is basically a total loss in a wreck that's your fault, or if the car is otherwise lost or stolen (i.e., burned, etc., which is covered by your comprehensive coverage -- not collision). Of course, if it's the other guy's fault, HIS insurance must pay.

Some folks may decide that such an exposure may not be worth insuring. Your risk of such a loss is related to your driving habits, etc., some drive crazier than others. But maybe there are alternatives to insuring the whole JCW package: will your insurer allow you to purchase "comprehensive" coverage only on the package (covers fire, theft, vandalism, flood, etc.), but not a collision? That would save big bucks. Collision coverage is probably 75% of the extra premium.

Or, could you simply take the risk that you're not going to suffer a total loss of the car (the engine, in many wrecks, isn't damaged significantly and can be salvaged) in a collision that's your fault? If your JCW package is financed, this may not be an option since the bank will require it. But if not, it's worth consideration.

Just my 2c worth, maybe worth a look?

No, it's £550 instead of £500 and in the UK if you have any undeclared mods they'll refuse to pay out at all.

Which means you're risking £18-22k for the sake of £50 a year.

Bit of a no-brainer, that one.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Unless UK insurers have gone communist/facist, they cannot refuse to cover the entire car for failure to declare mods. They may not cover the undeclared mods, but I doubt if the insurer can deny a claim on the entire car for failing to declare that you had side skirts or something.

Not possible, unless there's specific policy language that indicates it. And I don't think there's any such language.

In 25 years in the insurance biz, I've ever heard of an insurer doing that, anywhere.

Check your policy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Norwich Union Direct seemd OK, even though they loaded 78.00 quid on my premium for a Cooper S with non std 18 inch alloys..........

£417.00 + £78.00 addition for mods.........
34 Yrs old (Full NCN Protected - Rural Location)
Works should not be that much different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
vagt6 said:
Unless UK insurers have gone communist/facist, they cannot refuse to cover the entire car for failure to declare mods. They may not cover the undeclared mods, but I doubt if the insurer can deny a claim on the entire car for failing to declare that you had side skirts or something.

Not possible, unless there's specific policy language that indicates it. And I don't think there's any such language.

In 25 years in the insurance biz, I've ever heard of an insurer doing that, anywhere.

Check your policy.
If you do not specify all mods/options etc. on your car in the UK and you have to make a claim the insurance company will (almost certainly) not pay out. It makes your policy with them invalid and its the equivalent of driving without insurance! As ever its always in the small print...

dhm

·
1963 Mini -- 2004 MINI
51 Posts
I concur

with the UK guys. When I was growing up in the UK and drove (and rallied) a 1963 Mini and I added twin SU carbs I had to declare it and pay extra. If not they could refuse to pay a claim. The thing that most of us here in the States forget is that the UK insurers rate the cars based on the performance and not just the price. Thus you could be paying a higher premium on a performance care like the MCS than on say a higher priced lower performing car. Also their attitude towards modifications is that anyone likely to do that to their cars is going to drive faster and thus incur a greater risk of an accident (it's the old 'Boy Racer' mentality). :(
Alan

·
Registered
700 Posts
Wow. I stand corrected, thanks for the info.

That's a tough standard, glad it's not like that here. However, insurers do require full disclosure of practically everything, just the same. And, if the U.S. insurer can prove that you intentionally withheld pertinent information, it is possible that a claim that was related to such info may be denied.

But not if you simply fail to declare some cosmetic modification!

Remind me not to purchase car insurance in England. . .

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was just on churchill online, or what ever it is exactly. I am 25 and i am ordering a mini cooper s, may be a works. I got a quote, and it has both the normal s and the works on their list, and they quoted both the same for me this time (1000). I suspect an error on my or their behalf. I did not increase the estimated value of the car, but it normally costs about 200 pounds more for me for the works kit on online insurance such as mini, and norwich union etc. it is normally 1000, and 1200 or so.

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
reference above posts..................i'm not sure whether I need to specifiy my car as having Chilli pack when I get insurance?

surely audi / merc drivers etc don't detail all the options they have fitted when insuring do they?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts