MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a huge fan of the MINIs and currently own a R53 MCS.

No ques MCS-JCW is such a great car, but I can't help impressed by the JDM CTR after reading the comparison/article (web address below). - "watch the video clips!"

Driver's Republic - Electric Blue 2008

Pls dun shoot me with negative comments - Just an appreciation of other alternatives out there:cool:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have always been a huge fan of the MINIs and currently own a R53 MCS.

No ques MCS-JCW is such a great car, but I can't help impressed by the JDM CTR after reading the comparison/article (web address below). - "watch the video clips!"

Driver's Republic - Electric Blue 2008

Pls dun shoot me with negative comments - Just an appreciation of other alternatives out there:cool:
Yeah I've read this article before and its certainly a very capable car, but as I've said in other threads, you can find cars with better performance for the money. But IMO nothing (i've driven) can compare with the fun personality that the Mini has... Hondas are built fantastically and this model is obviously impressively quick but for me there's something missing. If I wanted a fast high performance family car, I'd get an Impreza/Evo or get a JDM CTR imported! I've owned an R53 MCS for 20months, they are fantastic - I'm sure you'll agree. Take a test drive in a JCW and theres no turning back!! :D;)

·
JCW Nutter
127 Posts
I owned a 2001 UK-CTR from the day Honda released them and did over 60,000 miles in it, I also had a 2004 MCS JCW 210BHP from 2004 until April this year and did over 50,000 miles in that.

They are both brilliant cars. The Civic is more manic than the mini with the iVTEC always giving the feeling of light-speed when you squirt. The Mini on the other hand is (in reality) just as quick (in fact the JCW is actually slightly quicker - tested on Bruntingthorpe with a friend), but never calmer and never fails to raise a smile.

It really is a horses for courses decision. I have no regrets about owning either of these cars. They are both brilliant.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Can't speak for the newer shape CTR but the prev version had to be thrashed all the time to get the best performance from it. Whilst with the R56 you won't have to due to the low end torque. They have different characters, I'd suggest you test both to see which you prefer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've owned an R53 MCS for 20months, they are fantastic - I'm sure you'll agree. Take a test drive in a JCW and theres no turning back!! :D;)
Dun tempt me mate coz I know I would be. .... Not to say with all the financial crunch going on....... Better not ............ for now anyway:D

I notice one feel good factor on the CTR is that as the RPM goes up, u feel power propotionally increases as well.......... whereas in my R53 MCS at higher end of RPM (say 4-6k) you dun feel much increase in urge........ Not driven JCW, got a feeling it'll be similar to MCS as there are already so much torque/(~power) at lower RPM and higher RPM won't feel the increasing in 'urge'?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dun tempt me mate coz I know I would be. .... Not to say with all the financial crunch going on....... Better not ............ for now anyway:D

I notice one feel good factor on the CTR is that as the RPM goes up, u feel power propotionally increases as well.......... whereas in my R53 MCS at higher end of RPM (say 4-6k) you dun feel much increase in urge........ Not driven JCW, got a feeling it'll be similar to MCS as there are already so much torque/(~power) at lower RPM and higher RPM won't feel the increasing in 'urge'?
No, the JCW feels surprisingly consistant right through the rev range - I don't know how they managed it but it is amazing! I won't persuade you tho because I'm getting one depite the credit crunch and currently without a job (contractor).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts