MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MCS and Computer Geek
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, on Saturday my girlfriend and I went to watch racing at the Kyalami racing circuit (Gauteng, South Africa) and in the class B touring cars (minimally modified) the MCS is making a trashing this year. In the attached pic you can see the two leading the focus ST170 and Mercedes C (think it's a 270CDI if I remember correctly) after about 4 laps. The 2 MINIs went on winning their class, with the gaps growing ever more. Certainly a lot of fun to see them being pushed to the limit! Also attached is a better pic of my (3-week old) car, just for the heck of it. She's nicely run-in now (2,000 km) and goes like a dream.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That's pretty awesome...thanks for sharing.

The race shot is cool too. :D Wasn't there a F1 related exhibition at Kyalami recently with Eddie Irvine and others in attendance?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, they've been doing very well.

There are two teams running Cooper S's. I've been to watch them several times, at Kyalami and at Zwartkops racetracks. It looks like VD Linde is going to walk away with the Class B title this year as he has won most of the races.

I had a chat with the guys in the SABAT team. These guys are racing stock Cooper S's - seeing as the Works is not considered a factory model. The only things they do is strip the interior, remove all silencers etc, and add some toe-in, camber? mod stuff on the front. Then they go whip some 2l butt. they don't even race with slicks, rather these semi -type tyres.

Mini SA actually offered me some free tickets to go watch the last race - but I was stuck in Durban with work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
COOPERation said:
That's pretty awesome...thanks for sharing.

The race shot is cool too. :D Wasn't there a F1 related exhibition at Kyalami recently with Eddie Irvine and others in attendance?

They've been racing these 2 seater F1 cars there. In fact they had a demo in the middle of Sandton today - imagine an F1 going full tilt through your town near you!

·
MCS and Computer Geek
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BruceJW said:
Mini SA actually offered me some free tickets to go watch the last race - but I was stuck in Durban with work.
Yup, I got the free tickets too, hence why we went. Been ages before that since I saw touring car race (at Kyalami or Zwartkops) - we also got pretty cool MINI caps :) It was nice to have all the MINI owners there on Saturday, I litererally saw a MINI everywhere I looked. MINI SA said they had an overwhelming response to the free tickets. I'm surprised at how many MCS enthusiasts there are in SA, yet there is no club I'm awarwe of to meet and go on outings etc. (Like we used to do with the AC Cobra club). My gf and I honestly considered starting such a club a few weeks ago, but then figured we'll wait and see for a while. We're both young and building our careers, so it would be difficult to spend a lot of time on this.

The pictures were taken with a standard Sony DSC-F717 digital camera, I recently got it (insurance replacement to an old -F505V) and took it along to see how suitable it would be to take high-speed action shots of cars, I am pretty pleased with the results. I took a few of the other classes and races as well.

We're taking the MCS on its first long journey today (700km down to the south coast) so I hope all goes well. Hope you all have a good weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
philosomatographer said:
I'm surprised at how many MCS enthusiasts there are in SA, yet there is no club I'm awarwe of to meet and go on outings etc. (Like we used to do with the AC Cobra club). My gf and I honestly considered starting such a club a few weeks ago, but then figured we'll wait and see for a while. We're both young and building our careers, so it would be difficult to spend a lot of time on this.
There's the "Mini Owner's Club of Southern Africa" - I joined them a couple of months ago. New and Old minis are welcome.

Membership officer is Marlene le Roy, PO Box 170, Ferndale, 2160 Fax 011 792 1735 and Tel (a/h) 011 793 2581, or the Club Secretary is Bobbie Hookins and her details are Tel (a/h) 011 787 8958 or Fax 011 442 4696.

They've got a big event happening next weekend.

14 and 15 August 2004 – Mini in the Park 2004 – Mini45 – Mini Festival Weekend – Zwartkops Raceway

I reported last time that we had had confirmation that the kind sponsorship by MINI SA will again be available! The event is therefore on! However, time is short and the tasks are many and massive. Again, I appeal to each and everyone to please see if you can help at all. Even if you only assist as a Parking Marshall for a short while, or do a stint on receiving cars at the entrance, or helping at Registration, or whatever. Kindly advise if you are willing to help.

The plans for the weekend are being developed, but there is a vast amount of work involved. Saturday will see the Mini Challenge races in the afternoon, where Club Members can take their cars onto the tracks and participate in the races. These will be on a handicap basis and split into novices and expert classes. Cost is now confirmed at R80 per car. You only need to have a helmet and wear a long sleeved shirt to race (in addition to the car of course).

On Sunday we are looking at a concours (Tops only), the usual displays, sales of memorabilia, spares, etc etc. This year we are trying to find service providers and suppliers to be there, ie the suppliers of tyres, batteries, glass, shocks, tools, etc etc. The Zwartkops Restaurant will be in action, as usual.

There will be a special display of Minis through the years, ie an example of each Mini manufactured during the period 1959 to 1983 and 2002 to 2004 if at all possible.

The co-ordinator of this part of the day is our Historian, Ryno Verster.

Chief Marshal of the Day is Leon Wesson, with Parking Marshals being Alan Stanton of MOCSA and Elliot Foster of Mini North. The Concours is under the control of Paul le Roy and entry should preferably be pre-booked by requesting the Rules and Entry forms from either Tel 011 477 9360 or Email [email protected] or from Charmaine Wesson on 011 475 0888 or [email protected] or 012 993 4944 or email [email protected] Else you can enter on the day, but only until 09:00

The annual parade will be held at 12:00 again and this time we must get at least 450 cars, ie 10 cars for each year that the Mini is celebrating this year. Mini also celebrates 40 years of Monte Carlo wins and the 40th birthday of the Moke this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
BruceJW
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing