MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious--has anyone out there removed their decals from their MC40? Conversely, does anyone stil have them on?

I bought my MC40 in June, and it's been a blast--very distinctive, and the EXACT mix of options I'd order if I was going to pick up a stock MCS (altho I like that aerokit....).

When I hit 10,000 miles in September (okay, so I like driving), I asked the dealer to remove the the rear quarter panel decals ("40 Years") from the car. No worries. The car looks a bit...tauter...without them. A bit cleaner, too. I left the bonnet decals on, and the hatch GB.

(btw--most Americans are unfamiliar with rally driving, and thought I was advertising Coke Cola with "them thar red stickers" on my car.)

My only fear is that the car is no longer totally OEM. Will this effect the value?

Then again, I think about getting some white bonnet stripes, a roof rack, and mounting some huge sealed beams and a spare 17" run flat up there....

What do you all think?

·
33 EJB
5 Posts
Iduno, but I just got my MC40 yesterday (didn't feel like waiting weeks/months for one) and I hate the decals; they make it look really chintzy. I even told the salesman that they should've had some better badging. Something like the 40 emblem from the shift knob on each side (perhaps under the S) would look cool.

I'd say if you want to keep it OEM-looking, get yourself a spare set of decals now (who knows if they'll make them years from now), wrap them in plastic and store them somewhere away from light. Then when you go to sell it, have a MINI dealer apply the new decals to spec. That'll make it look much fresher.

That's what I plan on doing. I'm not into advertising... The red is bad enough! Love those rims, chrome caps and the red/charcoal leather seats though.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Unfortunately the only external decals Australian spec MC40's get is the stripe and #40 down the side along the bottom of the doors.

All MC40s Ive seen in Oz still have them on :D

·
MINI Fan (atic)
276 Posts
:confused:
MC40.... ?? What is it?

Guys, do you have any pics/further info/website so I can find out more about the MC40 as I am curious about it?

Also, is it available in specific markets only, or is it a worldwide thing?

Help is appreciated.

Kodak.

·
MCS Owner-to-be
37 Posts
-X- why get an MC40 if you don't like the decals :confused:

Kodak, it's a special edition rally look-a-likey, they had pis on the MINI USA site a while ago, assume they're still there. Unfortunately we in the UK aren't allowed to display rally numbers on the sides of our cars - boooo!

Personally I think they look great and am v. jealous

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've left my decals on, so far. I get a great many inquiries about my MINI as a result of the MC 40 decals..... I'm now considering leaving them in place permanently.

I asked the dealer to order an entire set of back-up decals from MINI. That was 3 months ago. The dealer apparently hasn't been able to get a response from MINI yet. (My MC40 didn't have the correct shift knob, and it took about a month and a half for MINI to get me the correct shift knob. MINI seems to be very cautious to not let MC40 specific items out, for fear that someone is trying to make an MC40 lookalike.)

Marshall
MC40 S/N 136 (w/Magellan Roadmate 700) :red:

·
MINI Fan (atic)
276 Posts
Bartacus said:
-Kodak, it's a special edition rally look-a-likey, they had pis on the MINI USA site a while ago, assume they're still there. Unfortunately we in the UK aren't allowed to display rally numbers on the sides of our cars - boooo!

Personally I think they look great and am v. jealous
Thanks for the info bartacus, it does look nice... Might check site later.

Why aren't we allowed to display rally numbers on the side of our cars..? Didn't think it would make any difference to my overall safety and of other road users.

Anyone with experience able to shed any light?

·
33 EJB
5 Posts
Bartacus said:
-X- why get an MC40 if you don't like the decals :confused:
As I stated in my first post, I didn't feel like waiting, so I drove it off the lot the same day I went to the dealer.

:cool:

·
33 EJB
5 Posts
ScottyB said:
Unfortunately the only external decals Australian spec MC40's get is the stripe and #40 down the side along the bottom of the doors.

All MC40s Ive seen in Oz still have them on :D
Any pics of the Oz spec MC40?

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
-X- said:
Any pics of the Oz spec MC40?
A few from a photoshoot a couple of weeks back:

Its basically an MCS with the stickers, the badge on the steering wheel and a UK flag under the 'S' badge on the sides. :D

·
MINI Fan (atic)
276 Posts
Nice car Scotty B!

I like that badge on the wheel, to constantly remind you that you are in something "special"...

One thing though; on the dials you seem to have a rev counter in the centre console, and a speedo on the wheel... This is opposite to the norm. Just wondering if you know why they did this and your opinion on it? How does this affect your driving, if at all...?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Kodak said:
Nice car Scotty B!

I like that badge on the wheel, to constantly remind you that you are in something "special"...

One thing though; on the dials you seem to have a rev counter in the centre console, and a speedo on the wheel... This is opposite to the norm. Just wondering if you know why they did this and your opinion on it? How does this affect your driving, if at all...?

I believe that is standard in Australia

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Kodak said:
Nice car Scotty B!

Not my car! :p It belongs to Mic - 'Robot Features' on these boards. Mic and I did a photoshoot a few weeks back.

In Oz, (as MartinSullivan said) it is an Ausralian standard thing that the speedo must be infront of the driver - hence the tacho in the middle.

Personally, I know no different, so its not a problem. I do like the fact that we have the largest stock tacho in the world - and man does that massive needle look good climbing up to 7K :p :p :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts