MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd never have to post in here! My car is only at over 1800 miles, and the engine has developed this really odd noise at idle. Only noticed it today. I've had a listen all round the engine bay and can't quite pin-point where it's coming from. However, it only exists on idle. As soon as I put a touch on the accelerator, it disappears. If I let it go, it comes back again. Also, when I turn off the engine, it becomes more apparent and the noise fades quite noticeably.

I left it after 15 mins while I finished washing it. It began fine, but as it warmed up, the noise came back.

Anyone experienced this before? Here's a couple of vids below just in case I can't replicate the sound again. I'm going to book it in tomorrow and get them to take a look. I wasn't too happy to notice a big blop of bird crap on the top of my car has produced horrible marks on the paint work :angry:.

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump? :(

I guess no-one else has had this problem. It only happens on idle. At the moment, it hasn't come back, but I've got a feeling it's only happening when it gets warm. Sounded like something was loose.

I'm going to book it in to BMW to see what they think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey there -

check out my post on this issue

just search for whining screeching engine or go to my profile thing and click on all posts...

I had the water pump replaced on my brand new mini, which may or may not have made a difference, it also went into the garage on several occasions.

I have now done 1600 miles and the noise at idle and when at 30ish with the windows open has got a lot quieter. Also its now sometimes not there until the engine has warmed up.

The garage started up a couple of other minis for me and one made the same noise, and I have heard a couple of coopers making the same noise at traffic lights.

Whether they should all do this / whether it gets quieter as the miles pile on I do not know. All I can say is it drove me mad, but is now a lot quieter.

:)

Update us if you find out it is something serious.... :confused:

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply minioneblue. The techie person at the dealers said they'd never heard that noise before! :eek:

I've now booked it in for Friday morning so they can give it a good check over but the noise now becomes more frequent as it warms up. I've got a horrible feeling something is making it under-rev as it dips to almost 600/500 revs (with air-con off). It's not even making the car underpowered or effecting the performance in any way. Bit weird.

I'll post the outcome. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
engine noise idle hot

Yes I have same problem I've got around 9k miles and noise is like oil starve traveling around engine bay so it is loud inside even with radio on.I've spoke with service but only thing they recognize is cold start noise.Next month I'm going 4 week vacation I will leave the car 2 them we will c what they will do.last time they claimed that they can not duplicate noise whitch is a lie I think they aware of the problem but not solution.

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have same problem I've got around 9k miles and noise is like oil starve traveling around engine bay so it is loud inside even with radio on.I've spoke with service but only thing they recognize is cold start noise.Next month I'm going 4 week vacation I will leave the car 2 them we will c what they will do.last time they claimed that they can not duplicate noise whitch is a lie I think they aware of the problem but not solution.
Well, the car has gone in this morning. I'm now totally carless! Luckily I only work 5 minutes down the road from the garage. I couldn't believe they don't have any courtesy cars until August! Mad!

Let's just hope they're efficient and spot the problem. :p

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had SOME success, however, they wasted a whole day trying to replicate the sound. When I popped back after work, I said I'd take it for a spin and replicate the sound. Managed to get the whining noise and the tech took it straight in. Located it 15mins later as the water pump making the sound.

I've booked it in next Wednesday for it to be done.

minioneblue: Maybe there's a few defect water pumps going into new MC/MCSes at the mo. No car should make a noise like that it is a bit embarresing letting it idle like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good evening!

An update!

My car has had another new waterpump and FINALLY the noise is gone!!!!

It's wonderful and quiet - I am SO SO SO SO happy!!!

I took it into Woodmans this time and the service was fantastic! I was only there looking at pricing some accessories and asked them to take a look at the engine - it was booked in for the following week. Today it had a new water pump, poly v belt for the pump, some kind of water drive wheel thing and a hexagon bolt?!.

The noise is gone! The feeling was amazing to know I was not insane and there was a problem! I discussed with the techie that perhaps preston had fitted ANOTHER dodgy water pump hence the noise staying which makes me thing it is a bad batch of pumps on some 2008 cars...

They also found my rear speakers had blown (?!) considering I never have loud music on that was interesting.....

But once that is done, I have NO issues just a very quiet, rather lovely mini!! And touch wood it has no rattles, and no other issues!!!!

:-D

For all with the whining/whistling engine, a very quiet noise is normal, a loud embarassing noise is not.

Get it sorted! I recommend woodmans!

:)

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Snap! Had mine booked in today and had the water pump replaced. Has solved the problem good and proper. Seems like there's a batch of dodgy ones going round. However, Cooper Chelmsford seem to be saying that's the first time they've had that from a very new MINI.

Whilst they finished cleaning it, I popped along to have a look at the JCW they had in the showroom :D. T'was very nice :D. Personally, I don't think I can justify the extra few grand for the 40 extra bhp and other extras based on the lack of a test drive (which you cant go on unless you're really interested in signing an order). However, the salesman that dealt with my MCS (who saw me pop in) said it is an extremely good car and rapid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts