MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a stock ‘14 MCS R60 and on a 20-mile trip to a friends’ place I noticed the smell of ever so slightly burnt oil after a vigorous motorway run. I was cruising so I opened the windows, put heating on max and switched off aircon to cool it down. No warning light, no smoke, just the smell for a brief moment.

I normally don’t drive like this, because the car is used around town and on my way back the engine was fine (though I admittedly didn’t push it further, just in case).

I had it fully serviced 3500 miles ago with premium oil (Fusch Titan Race 5w40), filters (K&N all of them), spark plugs (NGK), and so on, checked the oil level today, and it was okay (full). No oil leaks, nothing. It’s proper dry and has only 44k miles done.

Could it be that after five years, the engine coolant has finally broken down and is now ineffective at transferring heat out to the intercooler?

Coolant is the only thing I’ve not done as part of the service (totally forgot), and it seems obvious, but should I worry about the issue long-term?

I normally don’t drive like this, because the car is used around town and on my way back the engine was fine (though I admittedly didn’t push it further, just in case).

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
was is a rotten egg smell if so just the cat being cleared as they need a good hiding from time to time heat and pressure cleans them out and they smell a lot when doing so, those engines run hot anyway also there is a updated thermostat housing with a wiring update drops temps down 105c and opens more accurate believe a recall on some cars , link below for genuine updated one,
also would check the water pump pulley for rubber coating still on it some break up after 5-10 years and prevent water pump from spinning correctly

1 - 2 of 2 Posts