MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of swapping my "57" plate MCS due to very bad rattles and creeks, and i have to make a decision what car to change to! i hope that my new mini will ahev the same problems, so i am risking getting another mini...but will it be a MCS or JCW?

Can anyone tell me the main differences? pros, cons etc

I am very nervous about my new purchase as i spent £25k on my current MCS and i have to get it right!!

The roads around my area are not that good, so if the ride is harder can you please mention that aswell.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sounds like you'll loose BIG money sawpping so early into its life....

...and with nobody having a new "JCW" car (as in from factory)...no way to tell if it is any better put together. I would personally not risk it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everybody seems to be really worried about the money - lets put that aside and if somebody can please tell me the differences if i got a JCW (except, i know its faster)

and what is this talk of a factory fit JCW? differences there

I am a complete novice, just need some help

Thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
I just would be unconvinced that you will not end up with the same issues that are driving you out of a R56 Cooper S. Aterall a lot of the niggles are not being fixed and I cannot think that they will suddenly disappear on the JCW...

...like I said I would not risk it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You should wait for the Focus RS to come out next year, will be storming car, and if you're spending ~25k then I think the money is better off on an RS than a MCS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was about to order a new JCW but opted for a 6 month old demo MCS demo instead. I just cant bring myself to spend 25k on a mini.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You should wait for the Focus RS to come out next year, will be storming car, and if you're spending ~25k then I think the money is better off on an RS than a MCS.
now that is a good idea.

Depreciation proof car, and if you look at the pics released today, its sex on wheels. i'd love one bu tthen i am a ford nut so whats to be expected. I still keep thinking about buying a Puma Racing.

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
? Fast Fords have opften depreciated faster than a falling stone. There's something about the whole "built in Dagenham" thing (even when they're not). This gen's Focus RS is a lot less attractive than last generation's RS (and that's assuming that you can use a word like "attractive" and not spew your coffee), as it's FWD rather than AWD.

FWD with about 280-290 BHP? I can smell the tyres shredding from here. Previous experience with FWD cars suggests that they get distinctly churlish when there's more than 230 BHP going through the same wheels as all of the steering and most of the stopping. For the Focus RS to be driveable, Ford have to solve the problems of torque-steer, grip, tyre wear and rewrite the laws of physics.

Besides which, £25k buys you a Works with quite a few toys on it. You'll be looking at £28-30k for a similar spec of RS. And you'll look like a hooligan driving it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
gen 1 focus rs are still selling for more than the much newer STs. and people always jump on the fwd bandwaggon, it does my head in - what about the people on here that have 280bhp minis? I would imagine Ford know what their doing, and until you DRIVE the car yourself, your opinion on whether it can handle 300 bhp is USELESS.

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
I have a JCW mini on order, and I have to say the details emerging about the new Focus RS are making me doubt my decision. I reckon it will be sensational and rewrite the hot hatch rule book! I can see myself swapping the mini for one after a year or so.

In this weeks autocar, Steve Sutcliffe has written in his column about a new sub 25K hot hatch that he was invited to drive around the Nurburgring. He claims it to be brilliant, and although he couldnt say what it was, the clues he gives points towards it being the new Focus RS. He also claims a 'ring time on a par with a Porsche 911 for the car!

As for torque steer, the ford people claim to have developed a new suspension part that they are calling a revo-knuckle that all but eliminates torque steer. Give the success of the previous RS, I doubt ford will dare to do a bad job of this one. It just seems they have put so much effort into the car (ie new brakes, reworked engine, redeveloped supension, wider track, etc), whereas with the JCW, mini seem to have made only engine tweaks, and few chassis ones.

I think the two cars will be very different though. A factory built Mini is never going to be a lunatic car, whereas a ford can be.

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
And given that the previous RS has very noticeable torque-steer, and Steve Sutcliffe described the torque steer of the Fiesta RS thusly "when you planted your foot on a country road you wondered which hedge you would end up going over!", I'd say that Ford's claims to have (yet again) eliminated torque steer will need to be measured when the car arrives, and not from a PR release.

I've yet to drive a FWD car with more than 220BHP that *doesn't* torque steer noticeably, though some are worse than others. One of the things that has always impressed about the MIN's chassis was that there was no torque steer (though granted I've not driven any MINI with more than 180 BHP yet).

So I'm less worred about the JCW's ability to handle 210BHP without suspension mods (though mine will have Sports Suspension); and MINI have already put the effort in with new brakes, reworked engine etc.

But ultimately I'm in a very good place right now - I can walk away from the JCW and lose nothing, and jump into a Focus RS. I doubt that I will, largely because the Focus looks like it'll only be 3-door, but I do have that option.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've yet to drive a FWD car with more than 220BHP that *doesn't* torque steer noticeably, though some are worse than others. One of the things that has always impressed about the MIN's chassis was that there was no torque steer (though granted I've not driven any MINI with more than 180 BHP yet).
The current R56 suffers from bad torque steer on any fairly bad surface - it's actually really bad, much much worse than the R53, and it has similar torque (to the r53 JCW), I'd like to see what the new JCW will be like with extra torque (although not too much extra admitedly).

·
Registered
600 Posts
In this weeks autocar, Steve Sutcliffe has written in his column about a new sub 25K hot hatch that he was invited to drive around the Nurburgring. He claims it to be brilliant, and although he couldnt say what it was, the clues he gives points towards it being the new Focus RS. He also claims a 'ring time on a par with a Porsche 911 for the car!
Sure that's not the next Megane?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts