MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a MCS and that's why I am buying one and I gased it from a traffic light with the TCS on and it took off well enough didn't bag up or anything. But if you get big power out of the MCS how does the TCS and drive line stand up to the extra power?

If they are 120'ish standard and you get say 200 after ecu/head/exhaust etc do you just give up with the TCS or does it come into it's own with more HP?

Thanks again.

Sorry for the questions.

Steve.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Much also seems to depend on the software.
Currently it's better than it was early on. If I work it right I can get mine to dance on the edge with the light just flickering. Where it definitely intrudes is hard launches and speed shifts.
Like Paul said, you can turn it off.

·
Registered
532 Posts
well i wouldn't recommend it for launches or gear shifts... but if we are talking about tight turns then i would say that it keeps you on track :rolleyes:
you see on tight turns the mini actually understeers but in an oversteer cloak...
you just have to give it more steering input and don't ever take your foot of the throttle you don't have the traction control off... you wouldn't have it on if you knew what you were doing in the first place.

tyres that aren't worth the money you spent on them kinda add to this effect..
after a track day and alot of intense driving on private road courses :D I have come to this assumption.

you can always get rid of this characteristic by getting sway bars and going for better tyres that don't last much (more of a note to myself ;) )

·
Registered
36 Posts
MTH - more power and less traction control interferance

If you uprate the ECU with the MTH software you will raise the HP of the car but the best part is the reduction of the Traction Control. MTH reduces the cut in point of the traction similar to BBR. It still cuts in but it's not so eager to spoil you fun ! see the MTH thread for more details. I've done it to my S and its brilliant. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Traction control

I can't speak to the MTH, only the stock traction control on my stock MCS.

GOT to turn it off when you want fast acceleration from a stop, or hard acceleration out of a corner. I missed turning mine off one day and ran for the first 1/2 mile of the track with it on. I thought my engine was in trouble. When I realized what I had done, I reached down and got it turned back off. The start, and one corner in the first half mile cost me 2 seconds on a 2 mile course!

The traction control will apply brakes to the spinning wheel at low speeds, but cuts engine power at any speed.

John

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
For normal driving, but who that drives a MINI is normal, on streets lave the TCS or DSC turned ON. In snow or at the track turn it OFF.

You should not be driving in such a manner on the streets that activation of the TCS or DSC is an issue. Save that kind of driving for track days or autocross. :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
After JCW installation...

Hey all,
Thought the traction control of my cooper S was kicking in real easy taking away lots of fun...okok i know there is the off switch...and i have to admit that after i had my JCW kit installed I keep it switched off or else it it would kick in most of the time (without any reason...well to my opinion that is)...But there is a lot of difference between on and off...Isn't it about time that Mini dealers offer tweaking the ASC+T software to their customers wishes? I know they do for various BMW models. I asked my dealer and they told me it couldn't be done. Any suggestions?
Greetz from the Netherlands,
Herman :red:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bilbo Baggins said:
For normal driving, but who that drives a MINI is normal, on streets lave the TCS or DSC turned ON. In snow or at the track turn it OFF.

You should not be driving in such a manner on the streets that activation of the TCS or DSC is an issue. Save that kind of driving for track days or autocross. :cool:
Why would you turn DSC off when driving in the snow?

·
Registered
429 Posts
MINIX said:
Why would you turn DSC off when driving in the snow?
In the snow, you sometimes need a little tire spin when starting out. The traction control will just cut power and you'll never get off the line. Traction control looses usefullness when the wheels can very easily be locked up or spun quickly. It doesn't know what's going on if all wheels are locked but you still moving (somehow :confused: ).

·
Registered
4 Posts
kapps said:
In the snow, you sometimes need a little tire spin when starting out. The traction control will just cut power and you'll never get off the line. Traction control looses usefullness when the wheels can very easily be locked up or spun quickly. It doesn't know what's going on if all wheels are locked but you still moving (somehow :confused: ).
That makes sense about starting out but how about once you are under way. Once you are moving at a relatively constant speed through curvy roads would it still be better to leave the DSC off?

·
Registered
255 Posts
MINIX said:
That makes sense about starting out but how about once you are under way. Once you are moving at a relatively constant speed through curvy roads would it still be better to leave the DSC off?

I'd like to know the same thing. I'm having to head up to Maine this weekend and it's supposed to snow and my MCS is only 3 weeks old. Also, any other tips for driving the Mini in the snow would be appreciated. (I drove a VW Golf before)

·
aaaaaalright
103 Posts
what does it feel like when the traction control kicks in? Today i was accelerating pretty fast and from first to second after i took me foot off the clutch and hit the gas the engine did nothing until i backed off the accelerator and hit it again.

Is that the DSC, me being a beginner at manual tranmission, or the dreaded stumble yo-yo problem?

·
Registered
336 Posts
FFS you get a yellow light on the rev counter and it strangles the engine power!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts