MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my MCSC for nearly four months and we've been getting along just fine - I never knew driving a mini would be so much fun... however... I've noticed in recent days that the roads are a little slippier than usual. I've gone from a little 1.4 Peugeot 206 to the Cooper S, which needless to say is a tad different and I was fine but now it feels as if I'm not really in control of the car.

I've had a couple of people make comments about how I won't be able to drive it when it's icy but having seen posts on minis in the snow it seems that they are taking the p but now I'm worried. I know it's really girlie and the rest of it, but I don't suppose anyone has any tips as to how I can feel a little more confident in the car without thinking it's going to slide off the road..... thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
What tires do you have on the car right now? I think you will find near unanimous agreement that ditching run flats will do wonders for how the car feels and handles. You may want to invest in some winter tires or go to a good all season non-runflat set of tires.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
That feeling is common when switching to a new vehicle during cold season. I am having the same feelings right now as well, but then again, I did the same thing when I bought my BMW during cold season as well. It is just yourself getting used to the driving dynamics of a new vehicle in adverse conditions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The roads around here (Cambridge UK) are terrible at the moment - I've never experienced anything like it in ... counts up ... 23 years driving. Just really slippy in places - I guess lots of rubber/grease/oil/diesel on the roads as there's been so little rain. I thought the steering on my car was faulty and asked the dealers to check it out while they had it in for the alarm fix it was so bad...

I slid their Cooper S round a corner last night at about 15 miles/hour - dry road, nothing strange apparent apart from sudden lack of grip! As the dealer said - it probably looked cool, but I wasn't too happy about the bollards approaching me so rapidly - especially as I was about a mile away from delivering the car back to them...

As others have said on here - take it easy!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok well that makes me feel a little better that it's completely because of my lack of driving experience with a bit of power!

Am now considering going on a skidpan course at Thruxton.. wonder how soon I can get a booking!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi,

Might also be wothwhile looking into a driver training day, so you can find out in
safety what you and the car can do. Have a look as www.1stlotus.com.
Not sure if they would do a mini day but they have done MG days in the past,
used to be an MGF owner. It's definately worth a look and maybe try to find
3 other mini owners so go along too. I'd be up for it !

Paul;

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooooh just been on their website, sounds quite interesting - I'd definitely be up for it. Noticed they had 2 spaces left on 20th January for the 4 person day - the 2 cars already booked are a Elise S2 & a Vauxhall VX220 and they have the 27 Jan available.

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
indimini said:
What tires do you have on the car right now? I think you will find near unanimous agreement that ditching run flats will do wonders for how the car feels and handles. You may want to invest in some winter tires or go to a good all season non-runflat set of tires.
While that is the general consensus, if you want to feel more confident in your car generally DON'T ditch your runflats! I was watching Fifth Gear the other evening where they test runflat tires, and in situations of puncture or blowout they are far far safer.

Just make sure you've got whatever ASC+T/DSC you have switched on, and if there's unusual friskyness go to your dealer and get it checked out. I have to say, my S JCW seems pretty stuck to the road. I get a bit of wheelspin every now and then, but the DSC keeps the car under complete control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.