MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Look Ma I'm flying!!
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few people have pointed out the popping nose coming from the new MCS engines (170bhp ver). From what I can gather there is a new exhaust and supercharger fitted.

One thing I have noticed is that it sounds like there is a small front section exhaust leak on the car (especially when cold). If it wasn't for everyone else commenting on the noise then i think I'd be going back to the dealer for investigation..

Exhaust popping is a very common symptom of air getting into the system front section. This allows oyygen to add to the heat and unburnt fuel to create explosions, this sounds great but will kill a catalyst and baffles in the long run.

Is there anyone out there without the popping?

Cheers, Peter

·
Registered
116 Posts
all MINI engines are highly tuned. By nature, there is a characteristic popping sound that comes from all highly tuned engines. Don't worry about it, it's just a sign that there's a modern marvel of mechanics (as well as a work of art) under the hood

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
I haven't picked mine up yet, but from revving it at the dealership I can confirm that mine pops nicely :D

Infact I'd never heard it before. It took me by complete supprise - and I fell in love with the noise a few milliseconds later! Stunning sound from the new MCSC, well done MINI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
abs0lutely
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing