MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called L&V last week to get a quote on the JCW kit being put on my MCSC I have ordered, now the reason I chose them as my insurance company was that they were one of the few companies that would insure the JCW.

Well apparently the underwritters are no longer covering this car for any new policies, they will continue to insure customers that have a policy with them, so no worries for them.

It just got me thinking who does insure the JCW (I know there are other threads with this in, but things always change as I found out last week:() and what kind of difference in price do they charge from a MCS to a JCW?

But it also got me thinking that if L&V are no longer going to cover the JCW will other companies follow suit? Will prices rise even more and more for insurance on the JCW?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
goonery said:
I git a quote from MINI insurance for my new 'S' due May 05 with Wks included, around £300 all in with £200 excess. Needless to say I signed up straight away:)
I laughed at MINI insruance, my current insurance is nearly £900 for a MCSC, they quoted me £1500 for the MCSC and £2200 for the JCW on it:p:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know Tesco, Direct Line and Privilege all actually have Works option on their site. Do an online quote and you will see several options in the drop down list when selecting the model of Mini, one of which is the Works. You can get a quote for the standard car and then one for the Works and see the difference.

I'd also give Sainsburys a call, 99% sure they cover the Works also.

Could be wrong but i am pretty sure the loading applied for the works equates to an additional 25% of your base quote. e.g. if you were insuring a stock MCS you would pay £500 but with the loading for the Works kit it would jump to £625 (25% increase)

Hope this helps

BC

·
MINI-no-more
1,415 Posts
I've got a similar problem. My MCS is currently insured with Norwich Union via a broker - they quoted an extra £350 for the addition of the Works kit, plus an excess uplift from £120 to £450 :eek:. My broker has tried other insurance companies but they run a mile from the word 'modified' even though I could buy the car like it straight off the dealer forecourt. I now have a claim pending so I'm so what tied for the immediate future :(. I'm sure the whole insurance cost is "think of a figure, double it, add a bit on".

Good luck :)

PS. I have protected no claims and no points etc, so really don't get why the premium should be so high.

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
I presume it might become easier when they start doing the JCW kit as a factory fir option... when this happens more insurers should start to recognise it... the only question is if they will differentiate between the dealer fit and factory fit kits :rolleyes:

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Rakey said:
I called L&V last week to get a quote on the JCW kit being put on my MCSC I have ordered, now the reason I chose them as my insurance company was that they were one of the few companies that would insure the JCW.

Well apparently the underwritters are no longer covering this car for any new policies, they will continue to insure customers that have a policy with them, so no worries for them.

It just got me thinking who does insure the JCW (I know there are other threads with this in, but things always change as I found out last week:() and what kind of difference in price do they charge from a MCS to a JCW?

But it also got me thinking that if L&V are no longer going to cover the JCW will other companies follow suit? Will prices rise even more and more for insurance on the JCW?
What they meant is they no longer insure brummies with JCW.:p ;)

·
003 On a Mission
4,240 Posts
RVW said:
:red: :red: :)

I have just changed from DL to MINI :D
DL wanted with my JCW wheels 650+ MINI wanted 431 no brainer really:p :D
:red: :red: :)

Bit of an embarrissing Post .

I have just received some paperwork from MINI and noticed there was a mistake in the car description. So I rang MINI to question this.
They had me down for a Cooper Works NOT a Copper S Works.
So whilst I was on the phone I thought it would be a good idea to see what they had actually got down on the computer.
Bearing in mind the young infant who dealt with my original quote obviously knew sweet
F:bad: :bad: k all about MINI`s

I had previously explained what I had Works S/works wheels /chilli pack/decals/spots etc
and asked if there was a premium on the policy. Answer NO SIR it all comes under the Works Package
Based on his response I went ahead. Getting back to the beginning I was then told the wheels are classed as an extra, guess what >>> more money please plus as it was an S and not a cooper guess what>>> more money please. So I ask how much more money?
Wait for it > original quote from the infant £431.00> we will now require>

£ 889.00

ON YOUR BIKE.
So I tried Adrian Flux not much better £770.00
I then tried TESCO
Told them what I had Cooper Works S /Chilli Pack / leather seats / spots/ Sat nav / Works wheels / Roof decal /bonnet stripes/ CD player etc.

£590.00 So it does pay to shop around even if it is a bit arduous

I triple checked with TESCO before accepting but I suppose at the end of the day when you do have to claim you probably will still have to fight for every penny. But if you have told them everything about your car and they have recorded it it should make life easier.

Sorry for long post/rant

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had exactly the same issue with First Alternative. However, once I pointed out the "S" factor it only went up by 60 quid. Looks like LV is losing the plot. :eek: :eek:

LV wouldn't touch me for the JCW (37 yr old - Full NCD). Go figure....

Fraz

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
My DL payout was very reasonable - once we'd discussed their first offer like adults....

JCW upgrade was 10% over original premium, excess was £500

37 yearss old, 9 years no claims protected

HOOORAY for protected nop claims!!!!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My last online quote Dec last year for S Works (was debating wether to upgrade) was £1400 for 10,000miles per year, with 25,000miles clocked up this year on my standard S it cost almost the same, BTW im 27 no points (touch wood) full protected no claims, guaranteed car hire,legal protection and Gf on policy aswell and she's a mere 23.
Just literally opened my post as ive now renewed my insurance with directline on my S, which has union jack roof, spot lamps, bonnet stripes and even the fact i have 2 sets of wheels 16" x-lites and 17" s-spokes which I change over from time to time, all documented by them. £961 :)

Ofcourse even though car is mine and its my ins policy, we pay half each :D so it costs me a mere £480.50p a year not bad for 27 :D

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Rakey,
Just took out insurance with Liverpool Victoria - more than happy to quote on my JCWorks, so dont know what the hell they were playing at with you....

Taking into account my recent 'mishap' (total loss write off - my fault), 3 points, 37 years old, wife also on insurance, JCW seats and Big alloys, £713..... not bad (full ncb though)....

Tony

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.