MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a MINI MD head unit from ebay, and when I asked BMW to put it in they reckon it wasn't compatible.

I know, should have checked, but I assumed that all the md units would be compatible, and yes I do have radio boost.

Anyway, before I sell it on, can anyone confirm that it definitely isn't compatible:

May2003 MCS with radio boost, cassette head unit + cd changer. Is it compatible with MD head unit model number MD53 R50? If it is o.k. I'll sacrifice the skin on my knuckles and have a go at DIY install!

btw, are the MINI MD head units MDLP compatible?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Raify said:
Ibtw, are the MINI MD head units MDLP compatible?
The recent ones are. But as far as I know this was introduced sometime in 2003. From the photo, it looks like the unit you have was made in 2002, so it might not handle MDLP.

Can't help with the question of compatibility...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've just worked out why it doesn't work.

the bleedin specifications of the car when I bought it (used) stated boost, but I just checked the newministuff website and found I only have a Wave radio!! :mad:

So, looks like an aftermarket minidisc player for me after all

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Very interesting! Especially as I've just confirmed from this site that the beleedin cd changer won't work with any aftermarket head units.

Edited to add: just found the kit on your site Mike. Looks great.

I don't suppose you or anyone else would know if a 2002 BMW minidisc unit model MD53 R50 would be MDLP compatible?

thanks!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Calling all MD head unit owners

Does anyone else know if an BMW MD head unit as pictured above (in a 2003 MINI) will play MDLP discs?

Many thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.