MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like the ability to accurately measure the performance of my car, future cars, cars of friends etc (0-30mph, 0-60mph, 30-70mph times etc). I don't believe you can accurately time a car relying on a speedometer which overreads in all cars, and a stopwatch which is subject to human reaction times. From what I can see this leaves two choices:

A GPS measuring system (simple software downloaded onto a Windows mobile based PDA); however GPS modules tend to lag and I can't see how this can be accurate? - anybody got any experience?

A gyro-based system such as a g-tech - but do they really work? They also claim that if you enter the kerb weight (which would have to be manufacturer figures) and estimate the drivetrain loss (again seems a bit inaccurate) that they can work out the horsepower and torque of your car, measuring the engine speed through sensing electrical load changes in your cigarette lighter socket? :confused:

If anyone has experience of either type of system, please share! :D

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
The G-tech uses an accelerometer to measure the speed. For wheel hp you do not need to enter the drivetrain loss.
Not sure how accurate they are, but can at least be a guide if cars compared against the same unit.
If you have an iPhone then look up dynolicious, as a cheap alternative.

·
SCNM Oldie!
27 Posts
I have the dynolicious, it said i had 179bhp out of my standard R56 Cooper s, i thought that was pritty good and it said 0-60 was 7.1 secs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts