MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its a few months away yet but I was interested to find out if anyone went to last years and if they could recommend it or not , I live locally ( 30 mins away ) and so I will be checking it out ...

link to the fbook page ...
https://www.facebook.com/events/161158957837927

Lemme know if you have been etc as I would love to hear what you thought .

Dall

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Looks well attended. Too far for me though. Thanks for putting it up. TBH there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm on this forum for meets. The MiniTorque dudes in the NW might well be interested.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks well attended. Too far for me though. Thanks for putting it up. TBH there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm on this forum for meets. The MiniTorque dudes in the NW might well be interested.
Yeh I had kinda noticed that there was a slight lack of interest in meets , pfft ...back in the days of my owning my '91 Cooper ( sheesh I am feeling my age now lol ) I used to do the Riviera Run every year so I can see what you mean about it being a bit far for you lol I am not sure I could do the run from Blackpool to Newquay again ( although I have been VERY tempted ) .
In regards to MiniTorque I have been dipping my toes into that forum however there does seem to be some ....for want of a better choice of words .."passionate" members on the forum and for me at least the vibe there is not as good as here , but as I said its early days on there for me yet .

In regards to the meet , I will be going and so will take lots of pics to post on here to try and drum up some interest for future events .

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
In regards to MiniTorque I have been dipping my toes into that forum however there does seem to be some ....for want of a better choice of words .."passionate" members on the forum and for me at least the vibe there is not as good as here , but as I said its early days on there for me yet.
Well spotted. 100% correct and very politely put, if I may say so. I'm on it (not as NigelK) but am extremely cautious as to what I post. But there is some great techy stuff on there - from the more sensible ones.

Choice of words? Rude, ill-mannered, impolite, impatient, abusive, harsh, foul-mouthed, boorish, aggressive, condescending, arrogant, up themselves, keyboard warriors ....... perhaps?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Choice of words? Rude, ill-mannered, impolite, impatient, abusive, harsh, foul-mouthed, boorish, aggressive, condescending, arrogant, up themselves, keyboard warriors ....... perhaps?
And then some ! tbh I have been a member of quite a few forums on different subjects and you always tend to get a few people like that but mostly people tend to be helpful ...whereas on minitorque I have to say it seems like they have collected all of them in one place and given them a license to be abusive ....but then again maybe it's because I am 47 and dont have the patience for idiots I used to have lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not been before but have seen the facebook group; it's sponsored by Lloyd Mini. I will be going as its only just over an hour from me

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well spotted. 100% correct and very politely put, if I may say so. I'm on it (not as NigelK) but am extremely cautious as to what I post. But there is some great techy stuff on there - from the more sensible ones.

MT'ers won't be into showy and shiny I suspect haha

·
Sour Mash
1,320 Posts
They probably all drive cream Mini Ones in real life. ::wink::

I’ve been on a few forums for different topics to cars as well and can say for sure there is a strong negative correlation between how aggressive someone is on the internet and what they are like in real life lol

(I’m the exception I’m a daft idiot in real life as well)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the Mega Mini Meet is this coming Sunday , and I think I may have gone a little overboard on the spending lol ...well the car did fly through its MOT last week and as I had been saving for what I thought was going to happen ( it fail the MOT )I decided that the interior and exterior needed a little bit of "lovin" and have bought some new car mats and some smoked rear LED tail lights .

Wish the weather would get a little cooler as I want to give the car a good clean and polish and I aint doing it in this heat !

So will anyone be going this Sunday ??

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just clean it at night ;O)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Attended the Mega Mini Meet yesterday , have to say that overall it seemed that if you were not in a mini club you were not in with the "in" crowd , I arrived nice and early and was dumped in a corner where hardly anyone looked around . The traders stalls were too spread apart for my liking and were scattered individually around the grounds, where it would have made more sense to have them all together . However I got chatting to some nice people and there were quite a few VERY nice cars at the meet .
A few pics for your perusal ....

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
it sounds like the event organizers took on too big a venue. Here in Scotland we never used to have a Land Rover Show because the companies that run this event thought we would all prefer to travel into Englandshire - a 500 mile round trip away. 3 years ago one event organiser risked running a show at the Royal Highland Show ground near Edinburgh and took a tiny but scenic area of the show ground and were overwhelmed with traders and the public coming along even though it was a very wet weekend. We have just had the 3rd Scottish LR Show and there were more trade stands than ever and more foreign visitors than I have ever seen - Icelandic’s, Norwegians, Swedes, German, Dutch and Italians came in significant numbers with their cars and combined their trip to the show with a holiday in Scotland. As the showground is on many bus and the tram route as well as being near to the end of the motorway network access is dead easy, there is a lot of parking available but it is costly and if you had an older Land Rover there was (until this year when the parking was made secure) risk of your car being stolen from the outfield parking. So maybe a smaller location might suit more trades and event goers.
It must be disappointing for the event organisers to have exhibits and traders widely spaced as it makes the show look like it is poorly supported. A really great location for car shows for those south of Lancaster is the British motor Heritage Centre at Gaydon in Warwickshire - plenty of parking, enough but not too much space to fill and on site camping. For those close to the area between the M40 and M1 another great place for a mega meet is the iconic Ace Cafe on the North Circular around London but you cannot just pitch up there with 100 cars, they have a very packed diary with car and motorbike club meets so you have to book well in advance if you expect large numbers to arrive. I learned that one the hard way - I ran a meet for Range Rover sport owners over their forum and expected about 2 dozen cars to come along as the owners had signed up on the forum..... we left from a well known Land Rover Dealer’s forecourt for a drive out in company down the A40 and back to the Ace...... when we arrived at the Ace the slip road off the North Circular was closed by standing Range Rover Sports everywhere. Because it was a lovely day lots of people decided to come without warning us and we ended up blocking up not just the Ace’s car parks but all the streets in the area too which doesn’t make you too popular with the locals.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yesterday at the Mega Mini Meet they had a professional photographer taking shots of the cars as we were driving in , he posted them on his website earlier and here is the one of mine that he took .......

Needless to say I have ordered a copy !

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
it sounds like the event organizers took on too big a venue. Here in Scotland we never used to have a Land Rover Show because the companies that run this event thought we would all prefer to travel into Englandshire - a 500 mile round trip away. 3 years ago one event organiser risked running a show at the Royal Highland Show ground near Edinburgh and took a tiny but scenic area of the show ground and were overwhelmed with traders and the public coming along even though it was a very wet weekend. We have just had the 3rd Scottish LR Show and there were more trade stands than ever and more foreign visitors than I have ever seen - Icelandic’s, Norwegians, Swedes, German, Dutch and Italians came in significant numbers with their cars and combined their trip to the show with a holiday in Scotland. As the showground is on many bus and the tram route as well as being near to the end of the motorway network access is dead easy, there is a lot of parking available but it is costly and if you had an older Land Rover there was (until this year when the parking was made secure) risk of your car being stolen from the outfield parking. So maybe a smaller location might suit more trades and event goers.
It must be disappointing for the event organisers to have exhibits and traders widely spaced as it makes the show look like it is poorly supported. A really great location for car shows for those south of Lancaster is t Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox he British motor Heritage Centre at Gaydon in Warwickshire - plenty of parking, enough but not too much space to fill and on site camping. For those close to the area between the M40 and M1 another great place for a mega meet is the iconic Ace Cafe on the North Circular around London but you cannot just pitch up there with 100 cars, they have a very packed diary with car and motorbike club meets so you have to book well in advance if you expect large numbers to arrive. I learned that one the hard way - I ran a meet for Range Rover sport owners over their forum and expected about 2 dozen cars to come along as the owners had signed up on the forum..... we left from a well known Land Rover Dealer’s forecourt for a drive out in company down the A40 and back to the Ace...... when we arrived at the Ace the slip road off the North Circular was closed by standing Range Rover Sports everywhere. Because it was a lovely day lots of people decided to come without warning us and we ended up blocking up not just the Ace’s car parks but all the streets in the area too which doesn’t make you too popular with the locals.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts