MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a bottle of this at end of last week.

I wash my mini with triplewax wash wax and autoglym body shampoo conditioner alternate washes.

it was polished quite recently with autoglym super resin polish and is usually polished with zymol or occasionally with proper 'hard' wax (which is pure carnuaba)

It is very clean and when zymol'd (usually every second wash or so) it is very shiny.

used the meguiars (or is it meguLars??) carnuaba wax and i just wasn't very impressed. the car is clean and shiny and i use the wax as a top coat. the finish was nice enough, quite smooth, but it just didn't seem to gleam like it does with zymol.

anyone any thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been reading a lot about 'detailing' on the web and the serious guys all say the same as you, the megiuars is good for an average product, but not in the same league as the top products, zymol, p21, klasse etc.

www.detailersparadise.com

is an awesome site on the subject, read it get excited and then realise that its nearlty impossible to get any of the german made products they mention (klasse, p21)...i feel a drive to germany coming on...

·
Registered
716 Posts
tuscan_thunder said:
Bought a bottle of this at end of last week.

I wash my mini with triplewax wash wax and autoglym body shampoo conditioner alternate washes.

it was polished quite recently with autoglym super resin polish and is usually polished with zymol or occasionally with proper 'hard' wax (which is pure carnuaba)

It is very clean and when zymol'd (usually every second wash or so) it is very shiny.

used the meguiars (or is it meguLars??) carnuaba wax and i just wasn't very impressed. the car is clean and shiny and i use the wax as a top coat. the finish was nice enough, quite smooth, but it just didn't seem to gleam like it does with zymol.

anyone any thoughts?
Which Megs product was it? as different products will produce different finishes - also - if you put a carnuba wax over a synthetic polish (autoglym) you may get varying results.

I'm a big fan of megs stuff and have used zymols cleaners wax before.

I can recommend the megs NXT Tech wax.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought their #16 (in Blue Can) is is a wax only. No cleaners. Is that what you used also? If so I feel the same. I put #16 on half of my hood and P21S on the other, The P21S outshined, felt smoother and lasted just as long. These were put on top of Klasse All In One and High Gloss sealant.

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was carnuaba wax. supposed to be step 3 in a 3 step system. it's supposed to be pure wax with no cleaners i think.

I had used autoglym about 8 or 10 days previously so it should still have had an effect, but will have been washed off quite well.

I washed the car last night with auto glym shampoo conditioner stuff and the quality of the shine has improved a bit, but still i don't think it's up to the standard of zymol.

i was put of the NXT tech wax as it seems to have a lot of additives and I think, if i remember rightly, it has polymers in it (prepared to be shot down over that tho!) maybe i'm getting confused though.

can anybody recommend a good polish to use to get the most out of the wax? i don't want to go mental on price, i want something i can buy in the likes of halfords. don't want to order as i'm never at home and can't get deliveries very well (middle of no-where).

I think i'll keep using zymol over summer when i'm looking for maximum shine, then use up the meguiars over winter where it'll still be shiny enough but will offer a good protection from the salt and all the cr*p we get on the roads.

(MR SIMPSON: have a look at a website for ' The Polishing Company ' think it's www.thepolishingcompany.co.uk but that might not be it. They have a range of polishes and waxes and I think they are able to get you P21. )

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think Meguiars is pants too.

Lots of marketing hype and balony on the packaging but the results are always mediocre.

Label reads.

'OUR MOST REFLECTIVE WAX EVER'

Translation:

'AVERAGE CHEAP WAX BUT WE CHARGE YOU PLENTY'.

Summary.

DETAILERS DON'T USE MEGUIARS!

·
Surf and Destroy
93 Posts
speedynz said:
I think Meguiars is pants too.

Lots of marketing hype and balony on the packaging but the results are always mediocre.

Label reads.

'OUR MOST REFLECTIVE WAX EVER'

Translation:

'AVERAGE CHEAP WAX BUT WE CHARGE YOU PLENTY'.

Summary.

DETAILERS DON'T USE MEGUIARS!
Have you actually ever used any of their products or NXT Tech Wax at least?

·
" Wooooosahhh! "
46 Posts
i use NXT wax and their car wash, seems to work better than any other wax i've used, the shine is VERY apparent on my 5 series since it has a kandy blue paint job, but on my mini it looks almost like it just came out of the show room

I give meguiar's a big thumbs up

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well. i washed the car with auto glym shampoo conditioner stuff, chamois'd it and then waxed it again. average results. don't get me wrong, it was far from poor, but just not as exceptional as I was expecting.

i washed it again with the glym stuff, and dried it, and it came up better. i think the wax has built up better and the car looks better now. i can feel the wax is on the car, as it's quite a gooey feel when it's wet, and slick and shiny when dry.

so it's an improvement, but maybe my expectations were too high?!

it's still not as good as zymol though!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
tuscan_thunder
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing