MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought and used some of this stuff for the first time, I'm honestly amazed at how good it works! Used to get rid of some belmishes and "bird lime damage" on Abi's solid black MINI One.... It's truly outstanding stuff! (I'd already tried various other scratch and imperfection trype creams).

:D

·
Overboosting.....
3,392 Posts
It is really good stuff on scratches and bird **** marks

One word of warning though, I with hindsight rather stupidly used it on the whole car, it revealed no end of scratches and stone chips.

It's brilliant for removing excising scratches though

·
Registered
716 Posts
olly - you need to remember that scratch x will remove any wax which may have been "filling" old scratches before - the secret to using it will is work in small sections and remember to buff up as you go. Hard work but worth it if your paintwork needs some TLC. Followed by a good coat of wax (not easy at this time of year).

:)

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Remember scratch-X and similar products are an abrasive polish. It does work wonders for small scratches that have not gone through all the paint. (But you are effectively slightly thinning your paint in that spot)

It will remove wax and other contaminants, but note its warnings not to apply wax for a week after use.

·
Overboosting.....
3,392 Posts
Wul said:
olly - you need to remember that scratch x will remove any wax which may have been "filling" old scratches before - the secret to using it will is work in small sections and remember to buff up as you go. Hard work but worth it if your paintwork needs some TLC. Followed by a good coat of wax (not easy at this time of year).

:)
Needless to say I won't be doing it on my new one Wul.

The irratating thing is MINI Bristol put my car through the car wash when they had it for some work. It scratched it so i'll be using some of the Scrtachx stuff

And to rub salt in the wound they didn't even fix the problem :mad: :mad:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Yeah, I still have my bottle left over from my 328is. I used it for swirls and the occasional scratch here and there. Some doof got me slightly with their door or shopping basket as I had a white skid mark across the rear quarter. No water took that off. Threw some Scratch-X on it and BAM! gone. Good stuff to have around.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've recently bought some Scratch X - Anyone got any tips on the best way to use it ?

Do you use a circular motion or go back and forth in a straightline ?

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Squirt said:
I've recently bought some Scratch X - Anyone got any tips on the best way to use it ?

Do you use a circular motion or go back and forth in a straightline ?
Sparingly, and I try to never use circular motions when I wash/wax/polish the car etc, for fear or smudge/swirl marks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
Sparingly, and I try to never use circular motions when I wash/wax/polish the car etc, for fear or smudge/swirl marks.
According to the 'experts' you should use bonnet to boot motion on flat surfaces and roof to road motion on side panels when washing, waxing, polishing. ie never use circular motion. Not only does the straight motion avoid swirl marks, it also maximises lustre (and lustre is the proper technical term for return of light from a surface, I'm a gemmologist)... something to do with the orientation of the molecules of the wax/polish and the line of sight. I could tell you why diamonds shine so much but that wouldn't really help since we're talking about paint.

·
Registered
716 Posts
ollymale said:
Needless to say I won't be doing it on my new one Wul.

The irratating thing is MINI Bristol put my car through the car wash when they had it for some work. It scratched it so i'll be using some of the Scrtachx stuff

And to rub salt in the wound they didn't even fix the problem :mad: :mad:

Olly - i know how you feel - after spending a weekend detailing my first coop (black) it went in for a service gleaming - despite it not needing washed the dealer returned it covered in hairline scratches from being wash by the apprentice - upon confronting them they said they would NEVER put a black car through a car wash and it was done in the jet wash bay - so it must have been the grit filled jet wash brush then - gits!

I would have gone to town on them if they admitted to me they'd put my car through a car wash!

Olly - also if you are picking up a new one try asking them not to prep the car for it's PDI ie wax it as they inflict more damage then too! that way you can sort any light swirls straight away (it does happen) and give it a good lick with your favourite wax. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts