MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MINI fanatic
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought some Meguiars Tech wax to replace the gold class liquid. I was wondering whether it would be ok/better to put on a coat of Autoglym Extra gloss protection on top of the tech wax. The guy in the car shop didnt seem to know but thought that the tech wax was a polish and wax and saw no need for extra protection. I also have the Meguiars Deep Crystal 3 step stuff, maybe there is no need for extra if I have this.

I have a lot to learn about detailing but I am really trying! he he!

Is this correct or would the extra gloss be a worthwhile purchase.

Also has anyone ever used the Meguiars Ultra safe wheel brush? I saw it today and thought it looked good but it was quite big compared to my current brush!

Any opinions would be great thanks folks!!;)

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
both the megs tech wax & the autoglym extra gloss are waxes so no, you don't need both products. it won't hurt anything to apply them both, its just not necessary. if you want you can apply more than 1 coat of wax - i usually put 2 (or 3 if time permits) coats of autoglym extra gloss on mine. the second coat makes all the difference to the shine

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have used the Autoglym Gold and NXT wax together on my Gramp's frontera, as I know that NXT does not last that long and he never waxes his car. It worked quite well together (I applied the NXT first then the extra gloss after), the autoglym added an really high gloss with the normal deep shine of the meguiars. Still looks good now although the autoglym seems to highlight all of the imperfections in the paint work which the megs does not.

As for the megs wheel brush I have one and it is really good as it goes right inside of the wheel and makes it really easy to clean S-Spokes, although I would recommend buying the face brush aswell as the brushes are not long enough to do the face of the wheel as well.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
293 Posts
Extra Gloss is a sealeant rather than a traditional wax designed for longer lasting protection on top of an already polished surface. The NXT is a polish/sealent/wax all in one, it doesn't however last very long so topping it with one or more THIN coats of the extra gloss wouldn't be a bad thing to do and would give you a longer lasting shine. Both good products.

As for the three step, I would replace step 3 with the NXT, as the step 3 lasts hardly any time time at all.

For friendly advice on products and care techniques, go to www.detailingworld.co.uk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Can anyone tell me if Autoglym Ultra Deep shine is a polish or wax?
As I understand it UDS is more of a glaze than a polish, it feeds the paint, and contains a lot of fillers to mask minor imperfections but has little or no 'cut' to remove anything other than the lightest of defects. More of a product for already polished paintwork. So the answer is niether a wax or a polish but closer to a polish than a wax I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts