MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the JCW fitted yesterday and I'm very pleased with it. :)

However, I noticed that, while accellerating away from a halt, there is a metallic resonance from the exhaust - seems that the exhaust might be hitting against the heat shield or something? It only lasts for a fraction of a second - anyone ever experienced this?

Any quick fixes, such as tightening brackets or something, or does this mean a trip back to the dealer? :confused:

·
MINIaholic
204 Posts
You should just be able to punch that heat shield back up if thats the problem.... just get under there and push it up more. Is there anyway you could get a soudclip of it or is it too hard to hear that way?

Another thing you may want to check is that the bolts coming off of the header and into the rest of the exhaust are tight.... mine broke lose once (Thanks to the :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: nuts provided by Magnaflow) and it wasnt fun to drive around with just a header.

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Must try that..........:)

Too much assle to get a soundclip, its intermittent, and like I say, lasts only a fraction of a second..........I'll stick my head under there again today...........;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hi Aiden, i had a similar problem. Mine was a loose bracket where the last section is joined on. Grab the tail pipes and ive em a good hard wiggle (ooer) My pipe moved up and down - only a bit but enough to cause the resonance. didnt make any noise over bumps or anything, just low revs. Good luck!

·
230whp an counting
3,056 Posts
Yeah might just be the back box isnt tightened up properly had that with my magnex when i fitted it off the red and white cooper, tighted jobs a gooden was fine

·
M3 CSL
95 Posts
Mine does this also. Only when under load (low revs) and generally in the 1st or 2nd gear. My dealer has had a look at it twice now and can't find anything wrong an mentioned it's just exhaust resonance. They have mentioned that they all do it to some degree and my BBR conversion will just increase the sound slightly. It is annoying though

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I took it to the dealer. it was the bracket about half way back down the car. I had to wiggle the tail pipes quite hard. 5 minute job to fix though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
just to add to the above - I have the JCW motorsports exhaust (including headers) and it does exactly what has been described as above. 1st and 2nd gear only, low revs, and especially noticeable under slightly heavier loads. I had my shop check it out and they couldn't find anything either. Now I'm starting to believe that it's the resonance.

JonH

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
AidenL said:
It is annoying alright........I shook the tips, and the rear seems tight, it does sound at times like something is gonna fall off.............:eek:
I never had that. Trip to dealers Aiden.:(

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did 200 miles scouting out a run route today - the noise is actually embarassing when I take off :eek: , and it only happens when I take off.........:(

Yep, back to them for a look - see it seems........:rolleyes:

Jon, they just couldn't fix it for you? :confused:

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Aiden;
Don't know if this is relevant but my system (not JCW) did exactly that. The faulty location was just over the center hanger where the exhaust angles down.
As suggested above, I flexed the shielding up slightly and all's been well for months now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think this is the problem I have got. A 'diesel' type engine sound on tickover. Other half reckons its the exhaust manifold :confused: . My JCW Conversion was only done 5 weeks ago :mad: Booked in at Sytners for 12th August. It may be my imagination but I think there has been a slight loss of power as well.

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My idle is slightly rougher than before...........:confused:

To save a 100 mile roundtrip to my dealer, who isn't open on Saturdays, I'll have someone local take a quick look at it..........I think you could be right obe too.........;)

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think its something that can be easily solved by the dealer, if I had time to call back, and yeah, it wasn't there before the Works was fitted........:(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
14 Participants
AidenL
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing