MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mexican MINI Maniac
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of the first people to sign up for a formal request to buy a Mini from one of Mexico City's three BMW dealers (Munchen Motors).

Last week I was called by a dealer's saleslady who asked me if I was still interested in buying the Mini. My reply was obvious. She asked me then to show up and give a deposit payment of $5,000 US to guarantee that I will buy the car. So yesterday, I showed up and paid the money at the dealer's cashier (The cashier couldn't spell Cooper, he wrote Couper on the receipt)

The saleslady told me that they do not have a final price yet for the Mini Cooper (115hp), but that she estimates (?) $21,000 USD. Also, I was not guaranteed any color choice, but I was told that since I will be one of the first, I might have a chance to choose. My preferences: Silver/Black, Red/White, Yellow/White.

Apparently, the Cooper S will make it to Mexico until late September 2002.

I was told that my car would be delivered early March 2002, although a late February delivery could happen. We'll see.

I will keep the forum posted on the progress of my experience.

Have a great MINI time!

Sergio Legorreta

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
$5000??? :confused: That is a huge deposit! In the US, most dealers are requesting $500. Does your dealer have a list of buyers to determine who will get the car first? For a deposit that large, you should moved to the front of the list. :)

Are you sure the dealership has the prices correct? It's to hard to understand why a standard Cooper costing about $18,000 in the US would cost $3,000 more in Mexico. :confused:

I hope you get the color you want. What color do you prefer?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
It seems as though the dealers are asking anything for a deposit on the MINI. I mean some people haven't put a deposit down(I put £250 down around $325USD) & others are paying a huge amount to be put on the 'list'. BruceK, It seems as though the Mexicans suffer from the same price differeces as us Brits. We can buy MINI's in Europe for a Few thousand less but if we do that we miss out on TLC. Then there is also a warranty issue on 'european imports' & with the faults the MINI has at the moment it isnt worth importing the car just yet :) :) :)

·
Mexican MINI Maniac
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definetely, the traditional Mexican way of doing business is not based on trust. I think that is why dealers go for such large deposits.

Apparently, my dealer had a waiting list of more than 100 people. The Mini was shown in Mexico's Auto Expo last week so many people signed up for a car. The dealer wanted to filter the people who were serious about buying a Mini from those who just liked looking at it at the expo.

Prices of cars in Mexico and in many latin american countries have traditionally been higher that in the USA and in many European countries. Even cars made in Mexico (VW Bora and Golf, Nissans, etc.) are sometimes more expensive here.

·
Mexican MINI Maniac
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally, I got my Mini yesterday!!!

After a 6 month wait. I was called to be the amongst the first group of people to receive their Mini in Mexico. I was at the dealership at 9:00 AM, so I guess I was the first.

Color options were very limited :confused: . The only choices available were red/white and yellow/black. The only silver/black car was kept by the dealership manager.. :mad:

Still, as I drove out in my new yellow/black cooper (chili pack, sunroof), I think I got more looks and turned more heads than 100 playmates running naked through the 5th avenue at rush hour, just on the way to my house.

Speaking about running around naked, due to Mexico City's pollution control ordinances, the new Mini (which has been baptized MiniKart) cannot be driven today :mad:, unless I manage to obtain my license plates today (we'll see).

I am planning on leaving for Acapulco :cool: later today and taking the Mini with me is the main purpose of the trip..:D

Cheers from Mexico City!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congratulations on your new MINI Sergio!

I am sure you'll have fun driving that MINI down to Acapulco Sergio. I got mine just about a month ago and believe me, I am enjoying every minute of it...
I can only imagine all the attention you'll be getting when you drive your MINI around the city. Keep me informed on what impact MINI's have around motorers in Mexico. I am sure, just like here in California, MINI is always good news... Suerte y bienvenido al mundo de MINI.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Too busy enjoying your MINI...

Hey Sergio, how are you doing?
How is your MINI doing?
How come you have not written any comments on how people in Mexico are reacting to MINI?
Have you seen any more MINIs since you got yours?
Good Luck...:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mexico City MINI Dealership could be one of the best!

Hey Sergio and MINI fans...
After reading the treatment and many of us have received from our respective or closest dealerships, I believe that Mexico City Dealership should be considered as one of the best.
According to the messages I've read form Mr. Slegorreta, it appears that MINI from Mexico City gives its customers an excellent personal treatment.
Mr. Slegorreta posted a reply within the Faults & Fixes Section of this Forum about how the dealership in Mexico City quickly acted to install a replacement for his MINI shiter linkage anticipating any breakdowns, this way, preventing any future problems with it. After my MINI broke down on July 4th. and having to wait all this time for replacement parts to arrive, I have to admit I wished the dealership where I bought my MINI had acted as the Mexico City Dealership in a preventive manner.
Congratulations on your choice of dealership Sergio!
Cheers to all MINI owners. Good luck to all of you!:D

·
4,984 Posts
Juanello,

Just went and read about what happened to your MINI in the faults forum. Keep us posted on how your dealer (Niello right?) responds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts