MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just decided to spec a mfsw with my new works I now see that with full bluetooth you get this free, plus a centre arm rest! What to do is my new problem.
I dont really use my phone in a car but for just the ipod is the full bluetooth worth it do you think?
Is it easy to use my ipod with just the bluetooth prep? If it is I will probably just have the mfsw.:puzzled:

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
as i understand it, the basic bluetooth doesn't come with MFSW and costs £295

the full bluetooth does come with the MFSW and costs £505

since the MFSW is £170 and you want that anyway, there's only £40 difference (as i see it, unless my sums are bad, which they often are) between basic+MFSW or full - so you might as well go for the full...

however, to get your ipod to work fully with the usb and MFSW, you'll need an official bmw mini ipod cable, which normally costs £40. i would push to get this free in your negotiations!

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
Having just decided to spec a mfsw with my new works I now see that with full bluetooth you get this free, plus a centre arm rest! What to do is my new problem.
I dont really use my phone in a car but for just the ipod is the full bluetooth worth it do you think?
Is it easy to use my ipod with just the bluetooth prep? If it is I will probably just have the mfsw.:puzzled:
Depending on what you need. I believe the new option 6NF will add MFSW Arm Rest and Full bluetooth.

you will get voice dialing and be able to make and reject calls from the steering wheel as well as controll the stereo you will also get cruise control .

The 6NF option on the configurator is for support of the latest smart phones and I think you will have to by a cable specific to your mobile ie: iPhone etc and place it in the arm rest as this is where the connection will be.

It will also do away with the need for the BMW Y cable and use the phone's digital port for playback instead of the headphone socket. However I believe you will have to get a smartphone specific cable for this option as stated above.

Now all you need to do is decide on what you want or need. I have basic bluetooth without the MFSW and I wish I had it. just for changing tracks and making and answering calls. as it gets tedious leaning forward to push a button on the radio to to do this and also not the best to do when driving.

Good luck with what you choose. It may be worth making the salesman work for his money and spend as long as you need at the showroom going through the in's and outs of the blutooth features.

WD

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I am going on Saturday to pay my deposit and finalise my order. With the works chili pack you get basic bluetooth free so I would just have to pay the £170 for the mfsw and get a lead.
My husband likes the arm rest (which is £115) and you get that free with the full bluetooth but this adds another couple of hundred on my spec.

I will grill the salesman on saturday and decide then I think, thanks for the info, find it hard to understand this bluetooth in cars stuff!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the chilli pack and MFSW in my Works - I deliberately didnt get full bluetooth as I didnt want the armrest (I find they just get in the way) - all seems to work pretty well, I have the MFSW as well - so have voice dialing which seems a lot more reliable than the previous setup in my Audi. Now if I could just be bothered to read the manual to find out what it can actually all do!!

Not sure how this all related to the ipod - but I have mine plugged into the USB with the Y lead that was 37 quid off eBay - with hindsight I should have made sure the car turned up with this.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, you pay over £24000 for a car and cant even play your ipod without buying a lead?
I shall make sure if I just go for the mfsw that I get a lead with it. I dont like the armrest but my husband does and I doubt if I will ever learn how to work the bluetooth!
Will let you know how I get on on Saturday.

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
I agree, you pay over £24000 for a car and cant even play your ipod without buying a lead?
I shall make sure if I just go for the mfsw that I get a lead with it. I dont like the armrest but my husband does and I doubt if I will ever learn how to work the bluetooth!
Will let you know how I get on on Saturday.
We just bought a 1 series with the USB connection and our dealer gave us the y lead;) so probably worth asking I would say...

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
We just bought a 1 series with the USB connection and our dealer gave us the y lead;) so probably worth asking I would say...
Lout salesman at my dealer (actually a very nice guy...:) ) would not budge on it and had to shell out 40 notes for it...

WD

·
Northerner in t'south
365 Posts
I had planned to get basic bluetooth and MFSW on my new S but then noticed its only £40 extra for full bluetooth so ordered that instead and see it as a cheap way to get the armrest!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I spec my car on the configurater the basic bluetooth is free with the works chili pack, so if I decide to tick the full bluetooth box it adds on £550, so I dont understand this extra £40 thing people are telling me!

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
When I spec my car on the configurater the basic bluetooth is free with the works chili pack, so if I decide to tick the full bluetooth box it adds on £550, so I dont understand this extra £40 thing people are telling me!
The extra £40 thing is the cable you have to buy seperately from the parts department to make your iPod work in the car as it does not come with it. You can try get the salesman to throw this in for you.

Here is a picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thats not right get you mini dealer to do it

Its £285 extra for full bluetooth but fot that you get MFSW and Armrest with mobile charger + voice control which separately cost £170 and £110 respectively not sure what voice contraol costs

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I will have to thrash out a deal regarding this when I go to finalise on Saturday, see what I can do!
Thanks for your help, will let everyone know how I get on.:smile:

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
Make the dealer aware you will walk away and go elsewhere (even if you're not planning to!) if you can't get the deal you want! Try and get as much out of them as you can!

·
Northerner in t'south
365 Posts
If the configorator is charging you $550 to go from basic to full bluetooth then there is a mistake on there. The price the dealer will charge is the difference.

When I said its only £40 more I was saying that it would only cost £40 more to get full bluetooth than to spec basic bluetooth and MFSW as I am getting an S not a JCW and its not in the Chilli pack on the S. I'll have to pay another £40 for the cable or try to get it for free but I'd have needed that with basic as well.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have sorted with my dealer. He said there is no difference between basic and full bluetooth apart from the armrest. So as I dont use my phone in the car and am not a great fan of the armrest ( I dont think) I have just gone for the basic which is free with the chili and the mfsw.

If I want the armrest (with the phone charger in) it will cost me another £115 but I dont think I am going to bother as I am over 24k already!

Hope I dont regret it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts