MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Sotherner up north
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the MINI brocure the Multi Function Steering Wheel operates the radio and cruise control - and since this is the only mention of cruise control, am I right in thinking that this option gies you cruse control? Or is it standard, just fiddly to engage, without the MFSW?

Mark

Indi Blue Cooper on order
ETA May 2003

·
Dead Man's Curve? Feh.
1,176 Posts
Cruise control is packaged with the MFSW and isn't available otherwise. The MFSW is a worthwhile option.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
the mfsw is cheaper when specced with part leather or chilli pack too (i think). check it out but its well worth it

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
MFSW is top! Not my favorite bit of my car but near the top! Only problem is mine don't work with my after market radio :(

Still waitin on the cable :(

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
MFSW is the tops. I use the speed control all the time when on roads that I might otherwise speed on. You all know the ones I'm talking about, the ones that are wide, with good sight lines, and a rediculously low speed limit. I set the speed control and proceed. Saved me several tickets already.

Also like the stereo controls. Very nice to change stations or tracks without looking or taking you hands off the wheel.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
lotuseatsvipers said:
cruise control is NOT motoring.
Who ever said it was? ;)

But its handy on the roads and motorways in this Gatso ridden country that I live in. :( Doesn't mean I use it on the "proper" country roads in the country I live in! :p

·
220 of your finest horses
3,009 Posts
Cruise deactivated on braking?

Had a nasty moment the other day on the M5.

Toodling along with the CC set to about 80 when a nutter in a Toyota Yuck attempts to overtake a lorry and a car at the same time, whislt going up a hill slowly.

As I had both my feet in the foot well, but off the peddles it took me a while to workout which peddle was the brake!

Scary stuff, the feeling of powering forward when what you actually want to do is slow down. Lesson learnt, always leave one foot near a peddle incase of emergency!

·
Sotherner up north
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies

I'm just trying to work out which options to get on my MINI

Chiili pack, CD player and auto air con are deffinatly in
ASC+T as a minimum

Just trying to decide between MFSW and DSC
HK sterio or Xenon lamps

Mark

·
Registered
94 Posts
Why would you get Auto AC, it is just regular AC with a fancy dial?? :confused:

(I can understand if it was in a PACKAGE )

·
Sotherner up north
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To get the fancy dial :D

To be honest I never thought of it, untill I test drove a MINI with it, and was impressed by the ease of use and functionallity of it, and that was last month in the UK, not exactly the warmest place to be.

To be honest I'm probably being influenced a lot by my current transport, where I have to constantly adjust the tempreture setting to get comfortable (no air con, just a completley removable roof for the summer)

Mark

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Xenon was available but my car would of been delayed if I ordered it so I didn't. I do have MFSW and its good, but I would give it up for the Xenons.

DSC can't comment on to be honest, and I think for the money you can get a much better After Market Radio than the Boost and HK.

So I'd say Xenon or MFSW.

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
I would go for MFSW and auto air-con :D

The fancy dials are in the shape of the MINI logo in case one has not noticed ;)

And auto air-con is great - set the temperature and leave it running, no more fiddling to adjust the dials etc.

Auto air-con was No. 1 on my options list, to be followed by full leather upgrade and BOOST with CD auto changer ;)

Not sure if the Xenon is that much better than the standard light :confused:

DK ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
The auto A/C is good but can be a bit noisy!

·
220 of your finest horses
3,009 Posts
Everything

Xenon and Auto Air and Full Leather and MFSW. You know it makes sense. Boost is as good as you'll need unless you like your bass at ear bleeding levels.

Xenons are cool as they give slightly wider beam with better focus and also they are nice and bright, which all helps getting middle lane hoggers to move over.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
lotuseatsvipers said:
It is if you set the cruise control to 70MPH on a twisty road and see how long you can drive before turning it off!! ;)

Just a thought!! I don't condone such behaviour! Consult your local traffic laws!! :p

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
lotuseatsvipers said:
Neither is driving 300 miles in a straight line.
But those with cruise control will be more relaxed at the end.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Auto air etc

Just a quick couple of thoughts on this issue - I am lucky enough to have two MCS's, one with Auto Aircon (my wife's car) the other (my car) with manual aircon. Here are my thoughts -
The auto aircon is a little bit of a pain - for instance if you want some air on the windscreen, perhaps to clear a bit of misting, it decides that you must want gale force blowing - which is a pain in the butt, it dries your eyes out and makes a hell of a lot of noise. Also, if you decide you want air cooling your feet down, but not blowing in your face, when it gets to temperature it turns the option off. This is a pain, I don't want the computer making its mind up for me. Also, its much more expensive than manual aircon, and running all the time a: drains engin power b: costs fuel economy. So of the two, from experience, I would say stick with manual air, even if the dials look good on autoair units!

My wife's car has the MFSW, and its a great option, although the cruise control takes a little getting used to. Definatly worth it.

On the subect of Xenon lights, surely these are included with the chilli pack anyway, which is the value for money option if you want to load up your mini with extras?!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Auto air etc

Tony*t3 said:

On the subect of Xenon lights, surely these are included with the chilli pack anyway, which is the value for money option if you want to load up your mini with extras?!
tony,
xenons atr only part of the chili pack on the "s", they are an extra on cooper chilli pack.

e:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts