MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper Park Lane with a two spoke MFSW fitted. The buttons that operate the volume control and mode control (on the rear right hand side of the wheel) have stopped working.

All the other buttons (horns, cruise control on/off, cruise control reset, cruise control + -) all still work so I am assuming the buttons are knackered. I have looked online at the guides for installing a MFSW and see that button is separate so I am assuming I will be able to order a new one and then fit it.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so did fitting a new set of buttons fix it?

Regards

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, went to local Mini dealer to price up a new rear button assembly. £130 or so!!

It is going to be much cheaper to just buy an eBay wheel and take a button assembly off it. Haven't had a chance to take the wheel to bits to see if there may be loose connection etc but will try that when we get some better weather.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Job Done!

The donor wheel turned up from eBay today. £20!

A quick look suggested I could change the switch over without having to remove the airbag.

One small Torx screw on the rear button and then used a small screwdriver to separate the two buttons on the donor wheel. The rear button then just pulls off.

Removed the button from the wheel on the car and replaced it with the donor one. Worked right away. Result.

Will keep the other buttons as spares.

Changing the front buttons would require you to remove the airbag if anyone else has this issue.

So saved £110 and got some extra spare buttons into the bargain. Just glad it wasn't the wiring as that would have been a bigger job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.