MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although this has nothing to do with MINI I thought I'd post it anyway :D

I've been an MG fan for a long time now, and have previously owned 2 MGF's. So I thought I'd nip to an MG dealer in Surrey and take a look at the new MG Z range.

I thought the cars looked good, better than expected actually. Got speaking to the salesman and he convinced me to take a testdrive in the ZS180... which I didn't mind doing ;)

Thought after the drive... car handles very well and the power and noise of the engine is awesome.

But... the quality of the interior is diabolical. I felt like I was sitting on the car rather than in it and although I had the seat right back I was very close to the windscreen and steering wheel.

Got back into my MINI One afterwards and it felt so much nicer. The quality of the interior is far superior and altogether a nicer place to be.

Thank you BMW for keeping MINI... it just wouldn't be same if built by Rover :(

Richard.

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
130 Posts
Agree to an extent, but a bit harsh to judge MG Rover on this comparison alone – the ZS (and ZR) are both versions of very old cars – both getting on for 10 years old if I remember rightly. The Rover 45 which forms the “base” for the ZS was designed a long, long time ago as a fleet car to compete with the Modeos and Vectras, and no end of dressing it up can stop its roots showing. The ZR would be a fairer comparison with the Mini market-sector wise, but again it’s just a tarted up version of the venerable Rover 200/25, which was never designed to be anything more than a “sensible” hatchback.

It’s probably fairer to judge the MG badge on the merits of the ZT, based on the much better quality and newer Rover 75 (albeit built with a BMW influence). Whilst I’m not a fan of the new lower-power ZTs, I have had a ZT 190+ for 3 years and will be reluctant to see it go. Ironically, it’s being exchanged for an MCS – the reason being it was time for a change and we could not justify having two “large” cards (also running a Discovery), and for a small car the MCS was the only option.

DON’T TALK TO ME ABOUT DEPRECIATION THOUGH!!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NightFox, I wasn't slating MG Rover at all... as I mentioned I'm a huge MG nut so will always think highly of them.

I completely agree with you on the ZT, fantastic car and of good quality (it was developed with BMW after all). And the MGTF is a great car too, though that is also starting to show it's age.

But I still stick with my opinion about the quality of the MINI had it stayed under Rover's control. I take my hat off to the people at MG Rover for doing what they've done with the company, and I have to admit I think they'd be in a far better position if they had kept MINI, but I don't think it would be the car we know and love if it had.

Richard (I love MG, always have, always will).

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
130 Posts
Sorry, no allegation intended. I agree that if Rover had finished with the Mini, we probably wouldn’t have the same Mini that BMW have given us. I would guess it would also cost a couple of £k extra too.

Don’t think Rover had a choice with letting the Mini go to BMW though, I think they just picked up the pieces that BMW chose to throw out, and built the “new” Rover group on these models. However, I understand that some of the new Mini can still be traced back to pre-BMW Rover though, so there’s still a bit of Rover blood in there…

And the MCS will be the break in a long line of MG/Rovers for me:

MG Montego Turbo ;) (Well I liked it!)
MGB GT
Rover Sterling
MGF
MG ZT 190+

Still, if they offer me a MG SV for the same price as the MCS, I could be persuaded back…

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NightFox said:
MG Montego Turbo ;) (Well I liked it!)
I had one of them too. And the MINI was an MG Rover break for me too.

MG Montego Turbo (I liked it too!!)
MG Maestro (had use of an MG Metro for a while as well)
Rover Metro GTi
MGF (1997)
MGF (1998)

Then I almost bought an MG ZS but the place I was getting it from (Trade Sales) had sold out and they had no idea when the next one would be coming in. So I decided to buy a MINI... but moved to London and cancelled the order.

Finally got the MINI in May 2004 :D

Richard.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
I wouldnt touch a MG with a barge pole. bloke across the road from me has a ZT, goes wrong every ten minutes. useless.

one good thing tho, nice colour range!! They do a well nice blue.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Think theyve done the best they can considering what happened, as said all the MG/Rover range is ageing, the 75/ZT is not a bad car - alot of the switchgear etc is BMW, the rest of the range is prehistoric. The stuff before that MG Meastro -MG Metro -MG Montego - they were pants then and always will be.

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
130 Posts
RobHardyUK said:
I wouldnt touch a MG with a barge pole. bloke across the road from me has a ZT, goes wrong every ten minutes. useless.
There's quite a few Minis that you could also say the same of, according to these forums...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just been browsing the Convertible board and it seems everyone, yes everyone, is having wear problems with the hood on the MINI Convertible.

That's another thing Rover were obviously good at... they can make decent hoods. I had two MGFs for 4 years and neither hood showed any signs of wear and they both looked as good as new when I sold them.

NIGHTFOX said:
There's quite a few Minis that you could also say the same of, according to these forums...
I agree... my MINI certainly hasn't been problem free.

Richard.

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
NightFox said:
Agree to an extent, but a bit harsh to judge MG Rover on this comparison alone – the ZS (and ZR) are both versions of very old cars – both getting on for 10 years old if I remember rightly. The Rover 45 which forms the “base” for the ZS was designed a long, long time ago as a fleet car to compete with the Modeos and Vectras, and no end of dressing it up can stop its roots showing. The ZR would be a fairer comparison with the Mini market-sector wise, but again it’s just a tarted up version of the venerable Rover 200/25, which was never designed to be anything more than a “sensible” hatchback.

It’s probably fairer to judge the MG badge on the merits of the ZT, based on the much better quality and newer Rover 75 (albeit built with a BMW influence). Whilst I’m not a fan of the new lower-power ZTs, I have had a ZT 190+ for 3 years and will be reluctant to see it go. Ironically, it’s being exchanged for an MCS – the reason being it was time for a change and we could not justify having two “large” cards (also running a Discovery), and for a small car the MCS was the only option.

DON’T TALK TO ME ABOUT DEPRECIATION THOUGH!!!!
Oh yes depreciation.... my last car was a base model MG 105ZR.... had it 18 months, did 30,000 miles... lost 4.5k on a 10.5k purchase price.... Ouch !

·
Raptor master
397 Posts
Parc77 said:
Think theyve done the best they can considering what happened, as said all the MG/Rover range is ageing, the 75/ZT is not a bad car - alot of the switchgear etc is BMW, the rest of the range is prehistoric. The stuff before that MG Meastro -MG Metro -MG Montego - they were pants then and always will be.
I've had quite a few Rovers over the years (620ti was my fave :) ) but the problem is that their current best is not really good enough for the market - and if people stop buying, the last mass production British car company will go. Even the brand-new CityRover is being universally slated so I hope their new compact model due next year is a good one.

It's truly very sad - I thought it would be a new dawn when BMW acquired them but they only really invested in the new Mini part and nicked all the Land Rover Technology - mind you, given the review of the X3 on Top Gear they quickly forgot what they learnt!

At least the Mini is still built in the UK, though BMW claim they make no-money on it (yeah, right. :rolleyes: ) - a dangerous statement based on past record.

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
130 Posts
northandy said:
Oh yes depreciation.... my last car was a base model MG 105ZR.... had it 18 months, did 30,000 miles... lost 4.5k on a 10.5k purchase price.... Ouch !
I told you not to mention the “D” word!

But as you did,

Oct 2001, brought MG ZT 190+ (well specced) @ £25,000

3 years later, trade-in value against MCS = £8000

DON’T LAUGH!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
NightFox
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing