MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've read the FAQs, done several searches and while I can find mentions of both tires, even in the same thread, I haven't been able to find anything that compares the two.

Blizzak seems to be the default tire, but many do run the Artic. Can anyone provide some comparo opinions? I was prepared to get the Blizzaks, but have begun to have 2nd thoughts. The Nokians seem to be overkill for New England (lower) and the Michelins seem to have a good name.

I have run Blizzaks in the past on my Volvo 960 and while they were good I switched to Yokohamas the last go round. They're OK for the Volvo but I don't think they'd do well for my MINI.

Oh, and what's the big diff 'tween Artic Alpin and Pilot Alpin?

TIA.

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
Just to screw you up (feel free to ignore me)...

There's a Nokian that's not as snow-dedicated as the Hakkapelittas, but, they keep changing it's name. I think it's currently called the "WR", it used to be the "NRW".

I've only ever run Nokian snow tires, so I cannot comment on the others.

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snid said:
Just to screw you up (feel free to ignore me)...

There's a Nokian that's not as snow-dedicated as the Hakkapelittas, but, they keep changing it's name. I think it's currently called the "WR", it used to be the "NRW".

I've only ever run Nokian snow tires, so I cannot comment on the others.
I'm already there :p

Shortly after I posted this, I found these Nokians http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7927868589&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT and bought 'em, now I need to find some wheels...

Any thoughts on these?

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
snid said:
My wheels came from tirerack. You can go with the generic black steel wheels, or get alloys if you feel the need.
Thx, that's what I'll probably do...

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I can't compare them, but I like my Alpins after 2 winters in Minnesota.

The Arctic Alpins run well in Minnesota even when they look like this:

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alankilian said:
The Arctic Alpins run well in Minnesota even when they look like this:
brrrr, not a good visual :cool:

Those look like the Tire Rack wheel covers. I ordered them today...but ended up going w/ the 15" steelies from my dealer, it was a $1 diff after factoring in the shipping from TR. But get this, the dealer wanted $21 ea for the wheel cover, vs. $25 for 4 + $8 shipping from TR. So I've got Nokian Qs from one place, wheels from the dealer and covers from TR...all for only $50 more than the Blizzak pkg from TR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts