MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a little while ago in the BMW magazine that the MINI was using the microdots that are also used in all new BMWs.

Microdots are very tiny particles that are sprayed on, or in with the paint, that uniquely identify the car.

Apparently they contain a serial number that can be used to track a panel or part if the car is stolen.

They are invisible to the naked eye, so therefore you don't know exactly where they are, but I think they fluoresce under certain wavelengths of light.

Anyone else know about this? I would hope that this sort of anti-theft product would reduce insurance premiums, so if the microdots are used, and they are effective, then premiums should be lower.

BMW/MINI don't make any noise about it on the web, or in their brochures.

Regards, ElTel

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
eltel said:
BMW/MINI don't make any noise about it on the web, or in their brochures.
Yeah, they don't exactly make a song and dance about the alarm system either ;) :p :D
It's the same in all the BMW literature as well, aparently the new 7 series has a GPRS tracker system too, but could I find anything about it, of course not. The dealer had to tell me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
Martin L
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing