MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very specific question, I have been chasing my tail SOO much with this.
I have done the channel swap - LOVING having some real Bass!,
I know that my standard 6 speaker setup does not include tweeters.
There are a (very) few 3.5’ tweeters available, so...
Can I replace my upper Mid-Range with tweeter only?
And let my lower ‘woofers’ carry the Mid-Range (possibly by replacement), and my 6x9’s (now after channel swap) for Bass?
Am am NOT an audiophile, but this makes sense to me in my head - 1 set tweeter, 1 set mid & 1 set bass.
But i know soo little of impedance, frequencies and Ohms etc that I have spent many hours searching forums without a definitive answer.
It sounds GREAT with the channel swap, but my ‘go to’ test of Queens Another One Bites the Dust & Bohemian Rhapsody had me missing some of Freddie’s high notes.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Well I would keep it a lot simpler. Is there a reason you aren't considering 3.5" co-axials?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I would keep it a lot simpler. Is there a reason you aren't considering 3.5" co-axials?
No reason other than possibly flawed logic - i was thinking the other speakers had the midrange covered and that ‘all tweeter’ would be better?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
You are right in that non-HK Mini stereo usually sends full range signal to all of it's speakers so you could try just a tweeter but it's a risk (worth taking IMHO). If the tweeter doesn't come with it's own crossover then protect it with say a 10uF capacitor in line with the positive feed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right in that non-HK Mini stereo usually sends full range signal to all of it's speakers so you could try just a tweeter but it's a risk (worth taking IMHO). If the tweeter doesn't come with it's own crossover then protect it with say a 10uF capacitor in line with the positive feed.
Awesome, thanks for the advice Steve, Cheers!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Fitting a tweeter or coaxial drive unit in place of the midrange speaker in the door is not ideal as it's too low in the door to 'lift' the soundstage and give a good stereo image. What I did was to buy a set of windscreen pillars with the tweeters already installed (from a model that had the 'hifi' option from the factory) and wire them in parallel with the front door speakers. They have 4.7uF capacitors already fitted in series so no crossover required.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's a link to a seller with the factory part, no connection or endorsement, just an indication to what I used in mine. It sounds so much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a link to a seller with the factory part, no connection or endorsement, just an indication to what I used in mine. It sounds so much better.

I was looking at those last night! I have found rh in beige, but no left hand, its used and harman kardon at a good price, might get it and keep an eye out for a leftie - thanks for the suggestion- i didnt think i could add a tweeter to my basic setup!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Harmon Kardon ones may (or may not) be a different impedance to the plain 'HiFi' ones, also they may (or may not) contain a crossover. The ones I linked to have the crossover capacitor under the shrink wrapped join.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Harmon Kardon ones may (or may not) be a different impedance to the plain 'HiFi' ones, also they may (or may not) contain a crossover. The ones I linked to have the crossover capacitor under the shrink wrapped join.
Ah, ok - I will make sure I get the right one, or a pillar with cover only and put one in - thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts