MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to minis. I recently purchased an 02 MC. It ran but needed a new clutch. I swapped the clutch and also decided to do a full bearing overhaul for the transmission. I reassembled and started the car and I can not release the clutch in neutral because it stalls. It goes into all gears and drives, but neutral does not seem to work anymore. I pulled the transmission again and manually set it to neutral and spun the input shaft by hand. I noticed the diff splines rotating as if neutral isn't working. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their Midland or if anyone has any clue what the problem could be.

Thanks,
Ethan

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does the diff splines still rotate if you hold both ends at the same time? They'll be drag torque which would rotate the diff but should stop once you hold the ends.
If you can't rotate the input shaft following that then it sounds like a gearbox strip down as you'll have assembled it wrong

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tested that out. It seems like the diff still rotates when both ends are held. Could that be an issue with the shift forks on the syncros? I am pretty sure I put the actual gears back on the shafts the correct way. I was following the Midland rebuild PDF.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The fact that the diff spins in neutral means it has a gear engaged, and when driving off on other gears you may burn out the synchcros.
The interlock should always prevent this so it sounds like you may have reassembled wrong.
I would whip the top housing off asap and see what's happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took off the top housing and removed the 5th gear synchro and it seems to have neutral now. I'll have to look back in the manual and see how I installed the last synchro wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts