MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen him in any news events or media releases lately. Does he still do development work for MINI, is he involved in the MINI Challenge racing series in some way?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They hide him in an underground cavern at Munich feeding him purely on Schweizer Wurstsalat and Rollbraten, his only glimpse of the outside world is when they release him for JCW related media and PR events.
Good one Paul. I guess if I had all the money rolling in from JCW royalties I wouldn't need to work much either.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
I met Mike Cooper last Thursday down at MINI Motor Sport centre. He had popped in unannounced to meet up with Tony Franks and discuss a few ideas.

We had a discussion about my GP and in particular the reported warranty claims on failed exhausts - my exhaust was off the car so it was inspected closely by Mike and the ex JCW chief designer (name I can not remember) looking at weld quality. The reason the exhaust was off the car was because I was having the JCM 225 conversion carried out by Tony Franks. - 15% pulley and JCM 4/2/1 manifold and sports cat etc.

We also discussed the Italian Job as I had just returned from doing this years event and the LHD GP was still covered in the IJ logos and the dirt of 3000 KM of driving.

From what I can gather Mike is a man of leisure, does PR work for BMW / MINI and spends the rest of his time coming up with wild ideas. I believe that he is in the backgound of the UK MINI challenge and gives some input to Total Track who run the UK series.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Some more info on Mike Cooper (Aug 2007) :-

13/08/07 - Mike Cooper speaks before launch of new Works kit
We met up with Mike Cooper at Beaulieu Mini Cooper Day in June and he told us what he's been up to since the closure of the retail side of John Cooper Works:
"I'm just keeping quiet at work, knuckling down and supplying the manufacturers. We've got the Works warehouse where we have accounts and that's our distribution centre. All the rest is engineering and going around different companies including Ricardo and Prodrive.

"If a manufacturer wants a tuning kit for their car, like we've done with Mini, we come up with the concept. They give us the parameters of how far we can go to be safe and we say what we can produce. So with the latest New Mini kit it's air filter, exhaust and engine calibration. Then we put together prototype parts and testing. We then produce the parts and get them shipped down to East Preston, put them in a box and send them out to their suppliers. For the manufacturers it's a one-stop shop. When we work for other manufacturers they will have their own brand - nothing else will be badged as Cooper.

"Regarding the new Works kit for the Peugeot-engined Minis: if you buy a Cooper S, you will go to your dealer and ask for the Works kit. They will order it as a kit of parts and will get it fitted. It's not as complicated as the first kits, which was a cylinder head and supercharger. This is just an air filter, exhaust and engine calibration so it makes lots of noise, goes well and ticks all the boxes.

"Bhp increases from 172 to 195, but that's not really the telling figure. The telling figure is the torque which has gone up from 220/230 NM to 260/270 Nm which is a tremendous amount of mid-range power."
*New MINI News

1 - 8 of 8 Posts