MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, ive recently bought a new mini turbo, but im having a bit of hard time choosing an exhaust system. I know HKS make a rear muffler plus center section for around 550 quid, which coupled with the SQV BOV and induction kit, it seems pretty tempting, dont know what it sounds like or anything regarding its performance however i have a lot of trust in HKS products, especially with there experience in dealing with high performance turbo engines.

Milltek though i know produce quite simply an awesome exhaust system coupled with there downpipe, something HKS does not included. Its gains are well recorded and pretty astounding, though slightly more expensive[with the downpipe] than the HKS system, it includes more and previously i had a Milltek system and manifold on my old cooper, pardon the language but it was ****ing immense, everything from the build quality to the sound.

Im kinda leaning that way really, but if anyone would have any information regarding the HKS system it would be much appreciated. I can upload all the info HKS sent me with regards it the exhaust btw if anyone is interested, doesnt really give much other a diagram and some shiny pictures though.

Cheers,
Rosco

·
Registered
691 Posts
What bout the other options.... Alta, Borla to name a couple....

And you could always combine the Miltek down pipe with the HKS cat back system...

Miltek sound like the way to go for me..that and a new intercoller and a re-map...probably end up with something faster than the new factory JCW car :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Power gains seem to come from replacing the downpipe due to the restrictive cat. Milltek doesn't have good gains recorded, they could only supply a dyno plot for after the install and said the car wasn't tested before development when I emailed them regarding it...

The GTT stealth cat is also another option but I'm not sure if the power gains had ever been proven.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Power gains seem to come from replacing the downpipe due to the restrictive cat. Milltek doesn't have good gains recorded, they could only supply a dyno plot for after the install and said the car wasn't tested before development when I emailed them regarding it...

The GTT stealth cat is also another option but I'm not sure if the power gains had ever been proven.
Does anybody know what cats are in the OEM downpipe as well as the Miltek one. I believe the OEM runs both a 400cpi and a 200 or 300cpi cat. GTT take out the more restrictive one. Does the Miltek have a 200 or 300cpi cat element ?.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
What bout the other options.... Alta, Borla to name a couple....

And you could always combine the Miltek down pipe with the HKS cat back system...

Miltek sound like the way to go for me..that and a new intercoller and a re-map...probably end up with something faster than the new factory JCW car :)
ALTA's downpipe is really only for US markets.

Not sure Borla offer a downpipe, just a cat back exhaust in 2 flavours:p

·
Registered
851 Posts
Does anybody know what cats are in the OEM downpipe as well as the Miltek one. I believe the OEM runs both a 400cpi and a 200 or 300cpi cat. GTT take out the more restrictive one. Does the Miltek have a 200 or 300cpi cat element ?.
I received a PM from Futureal33 about cats in early June. It mentioned the following:

Stock = 2 x 400 CPI
Milltek = 200 CPI
GGR = 100 CPI

He was hoping to get the first GGR downpipe in a 'development' deal but not sure it worked out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Milltek doesn't have good gains recorded, they could only supply a dyno plot for after the install and said the car wasn't tested before development when I emailed them regarding it...
That's my view on it also, they show power figures afterwards but have nothing other than factory figures to compare to - and I hate it when companies advertise massive power claims, as they're just not proven back to back.

I'm not sure I like the look of the tailpipes either.

And whoever said an intercooler, turbo back exhaust and remap would be faster than the factory JCW - a remap would get you to that point on it's own I'm sure.

Is there any info on the GGR?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I received a PM from Futureal33 about cats in early June. It mentioned the following:

Stock = 2 x 400 CPI
Milltek = 200 CPI
GGR = 100 CPI

He was hoping to get the first GGR downpipe in a 'development' deal but not sure it worked out.
I should state that I only think that the standard one has 2 x 400cpi cats, this is based upon seeing a picture of the downpipe internals and reading somewhere that one of the cats is 400cpi, in the picture I saw (which I am currently looking for) both cats looked similar density and size

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responces, the idea of the Milltek downpipe and HKS exhaust does had crossd my mind, but would this not have unpredictable results?, as i know most manufacturers, especially Milltek design there parts to work in conjunction with others, such as the downpipe and exhaust, id always think maybe the sound/performance maybe affected by bastardizing the system. This is a review of the Milltek system giving 27bhp, tested by Scooby Clinic[.scoobyclinic.com]]
[
millteksport.com/media/images/press/28.pdf

Cheers
Rosco

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I should state that I only think that the standard one has 2 x 400cpi cats, this is based upon seeing a picture of the downpipe internals and reading somewhere that one of the cats is 400cpi, in the picture I saw (which I am currently looking for) both cats looked similar density and size
Roland stated that he removes the most restrictive one when producing the GTT stealth cat. By this statement i assume he knows enough to quantify that one is more restrictive than the other:confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts