MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i am a newbie here.
I want a good sounding exhaust on my R56

Would a milltek exhaust be better sounding than having a JCW tuning kit's exhaust?
What does the cat back do to the sound of the exhaust, is it purely for performance gain?

Where in the UK is the cheapest place to get the milltek including fitting?

Sorry for all the questions:eek:

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Im running the full Milteck System on my S.
My views are its a nice sounding exhaust when warmed up, if you drive normally no hard push of the accelerator you dont notice it alot. It comes into its own on full blip of the accelaerator and when its nicley warmed up.
The Milteck will release much more power than the jcw tuning kit exhaust as this is quite restrictive, the manifold part ..
The tail pipes nicely expand out when hot, then as they cool down they retract back in again to bumper trim level.:cool:

The only thing id say, i drove the factory jcw car and that did pop/bang more than the milteck, it seems to have slightly larger end pipes coming from the rear box.

Prices i brought mine through Lohens group buy, so id look around on web for best prices, and the sponsors on here.

·
Registered
851 Posts
What does the cat back do to the sound of the exhaust, is it purely for performance gain?
The cat back is unlikely to give much power gain, it should help with sound though. The power is in the full turbo back system using the Milltek high flow cat. Which by the way you can use with the standard MCS or tuning kit exhaust should you wish. (But its possible Milltek won't warrant this... you'd need to check)

·
Mini Maniac
138 Posts
Have you had a look on you tube? There are a few videos on there of the milltek exhaust and loads of the JCW exhaust.

Personally i prefer the sound of the JCW. It bangs and burbles a lot more.:D See what you think.

G

·
I think you may find it hard to find a mini garage willing to sell you the JCW exhaust without you buying the whole JCW tuning kit.

There is many tried and tested reviews carried out on the milltek exhaust system with very good results in the sound and performance department.It is a great exhaust.

·
Registered
851 Posts
There is many tried and tested reviews carried out on the milltek exhaust system with very good results in the sound and performance department.It is a great exhaust.
Have you seen any that test before and after fitment of the exhaust?

All the reviews I've seen have only dynoed after fitment (if at all...). It's fair to say the cat gains power and the stock item is very restrictive but I'm not sure anyone has really proven how much of gain it does make.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hi all, i am a newbie here.
I want a good sounding exhaust on my R56

Would a milltek exhaust be better sounding than having a JCW tuning kit's exhaust?

Where in the UK is the cheapest place to get the milltek including fitting?

Sorry for all the questions:eek:

JCW Stage 1 tuning kit with a Milltek cat will give you around 210 bhp, same as the new Factory Works car.
:biggrin:

G

·
Have you seen any that test before and after fitment of the exhaust?

All the reviews I've seen have only dynoed after fitment (if at all...). It's fair to say the cat gains power and the stock item is very restrictive but I'm not sure anyone has really proven how much of gain it does make.
Well take a further look as the truth is out there ;)

The average gains from standard seem to be around 25-30bhp and about 30-40lbft.. Outputs vary due to the varying standard outputs of the specific cars tested. SO obviously your not going to find guaranteed exact figures of how much bhp/lbft any given car will gain from the full system because everyone will get slightly different results. But for myself i have read atleast 20 reviews on the milltek and around 5 of them were before and after comparisons from the difference in driving to the actual figures laid out infront of you to see...And the fact that there are before after RR reviews showing standard cars with around 180-185bhp and then producing anywhere around 200-215bhp indicates clearly the gains are true simply on the basis that most turbo owners who have had RRs done all over the country are consistently getting 180+bhp as standard so the RR reviews are pretty accurate.

However i as said previously these gains are on standard cars and so therefore already tuned cars wont see 30bhp from the full system. P-Torque has a package (and we know them to be very reliable and accurate) which when you combine the exhaust with the ecu software you will see power outputs of around 230-235bhp so in that sense my car with 211bhp will roughly gain 20bhp from that system and thats on my car. A standard owner will definetly get over 20bhp from a full system no doubts about it.

If you are still a sceptic and cant seem to find the reviews then i will gladly lend a hand and get you a couple..I looked because i wanted a milltek and found alot of great information which helped on my decision and cant seem to understand how you cant do the same.

Mike

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you are still a sceptic and cant seem to find the reviews then i will gladly lend a hand and get you a couple..I looked because i wanted a milltek and found alot of great information which helped on my decision and cant seem to understand how you cant do the same.

Mike
Me either... I must be searching for the wrong thing! I would appreciate it if you could find one with before and after dyno testing though. :smile:

Milltek certainly didn't test it properly during development as they could not provide any 'before' data and could not point in the direction of a decent third party test. Though that was a few months back now.

G

·
well a quick glance at the milltek website will yield you this

http://www.millteksport.com/media/images/press/28.pdf

go down to page 6, zoom in and read the small print.These RRs were done by scooby-clinic for performance tuner.... 203.4bhp and 215lbft....

'we wanted to check the manufacturers power claims on their independent dyno.A 27bhp gain on a 175bhp car from an exhaust had caused more than a few raised eyebrows from some mini fans we'd spoken to. But the milltek car came good on the rollers it peaked at 203.4bhp - a gain of 28.4bhp'

Thats just one independent test but from what im hearing most people who fit millteks to the standard car are getting over 200bhp....Obviously the car used in the test wasnt making 175bhp as standard more like 180bhp probably however thats still a good 20+bhp gain.

Mike

·
Registered
851 Posts
go down to page 6, zoom in and read the small print.These RRs were done by scooby-clinic for performance tuner.... 203.4bhp and 215lbft....

Thats just one independent test but from what im hearing most people who fit millteks to the standard car are getting over 200bhp....Obviously the car used in the test wasnt making 175bhp as standard more like 180bhp probably however thats still a good 20+bhp gain.

Mike
So like I said there are no straight forward before and after tests. :D

Ideally you want a before and after on the same car, same dyno run in similar weather conditions to make it a fair test. Dynos (and their operation) can vary a lot. If I remember correctly the Mini that Evo magazine had was dynoed closer to 190bhp stock.

Anyways, I'm sure the Milltek is a good product and I'll probably add the cat to my JCW tuning kitted MCS at some stage.

G

·
So like I said there are no straight forward before and after tests. :D

Ideally you want a before and after on the same car, same dyno run in similar weather conditions to make it a fair test. Dynos (and their operation) can vary a lot. If I remember correctly the Mini that Evo magazine had was dynoed closer to 190bhp stock.

Anyways, I'm sure the Milltek is a good product and I'll probably add the cat to my JCW tuning kitted MCS at some stage.
cheeky ****er :D:D

I def read 2 of them and im sure they were done in the states and i will look for them even though im all decided ;)

Also the cars im comparing for standard outputs are myself and futureal33s among a few owners on the NAM and if you look at any standard cooper s on RR it will be somehwere between 180-185. Im sure 190 is a bit inaccurate however if you get 190bhp on the Evo magazine dyno then your still going to be producing upto 30bhp more than stock the only difference is that because your stock output is way over what it actually will be then the same can be said about the milltek..i.e if your car has 190bhp as standard then you will get a 30ish-bhp increase however it doesnt mean you will be developing near 215bhp it just means the dyno you used was pretty bad HOWEVER the result is still the same, stock car plus exhaust = 20-30bhp...

If you really dont like arithmetic ;) then simply look at p-torque..They are pretty much guaranteeing that if you get their software and then add the exhaust you will see anywhere around 15-20bhp extra.. and thats on a tuned car not from standard...

If you happen to see a review with standard power at 190bhp and power after exhaust being around 215bhp OK so those outputs arent accurate but your missing the big picture, the difference in output is though because its measured on the same dyno and so therefore the difference in power IS accurate! And you may feel how do i make sense of this - well start by taking 10 bhp off standard figure and now you have 180bhp and now do same with final output so you now get 205bhp.. the gap is still the same but we have lowered the standard output by ten as that prob makes it more accurate and by doing the same on the final power you keep the dynos identified power difference but made the figures more realistic and most likely closer to being accurate..

Hardly straight forward i know but tbh i spend so much time looking at all sorts of parts i want for my car thats why i cant remember where i saw the reviews as once i read them and made my mind up that was it for me..Normally i would have sent the links to futureall33 like i always do however he has a full custom system coming from the states and so it would have been useless for me to send him links but i wish i did now LOL

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
I had my car rolling roaded before i had the Milteck fitted totally stcok car with 1000 miles on the clock, it came out 185.4bhp.
I havent yet taken it back again to be rolling roaded with this sytem fitted to see the increase in power, i keep meaning too but not got around to it yet.

Theres deffinately more pull in the car id guess its running around 200 bhp to be fair..

G

·
That sounds about right to me.. I would love to see your outputs of power and torque now that you have the milltek and would once and for all give those who seek it some clarification.

Although i think you could be more like 205bhp if your standard is 185bhp but its the torque id keep an eye on as that will be over the 210lbft mark. Any more and things start to get really interesting :)

I take it you plan to go back to the same place you had the original RR done? I should hopefully by end of OCT have the milltek fitted and so i will be on my way to P-Torque for some RRs or i might just go there to get it fitted either way will be expecting some lovely gains!

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you happen to see a review with standard power at 190bhp and power after exhaust being around 215bhp OK so those outputs arent accurate but your missing the big picture, the difference in output is though because its measured on the same dyno and so therefore the difference in power IS accurate!
This is exactly my point! :D

Your only concerned with the difference in power. BUT you need to use the same car and the same dyno under similar conditions for this test to be fair. Otherwise there are too many variables. If you've seen tests like this then fair enough. But you cannot say Xs car ran 180bhp and Ys car with Milltek ran 210bhp to give 30bhp gain if they are different dynos and different conditions. The 30bhp difference could easily be reduced to 15bhp when taking into account variables and inaccuracies.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
I do plan to go back to the same place yes, just getting around to it with work at the moment.
The thing is i admit wont be still 100% acurate as with air temps, mileage is now 5000, so all these things into account, have to +/- 5bhp ..

As soon as i do i will post results up, or if you get yours done before me Mike yours will be interesting reading :)

G

·
This is exactly my point! :D

Your only concerned with the difference in power. BUT you need to use the same car and the same dyno under similar conditions for this test to be fair. Otherwise there are too many variables. If you've seen tests like this then fair enough. But you cannot say Xs car ran 180bhp and Ys car with Milltek ran 210bhp to give 30bhp gain if they are different dynos and different conditions. The 30bhp difference could easily be reduced to 15bhp when taking into account variables and inaccuracies.
LOL did you not read what i wrote? I was specifying that it was the same car on the same dyno- i dont get where you got the car x and car y from? If it helps i was talking about car x on dyno x before and after - i was making the point that even if the outputs seem too high I.E 220bhp from an exhaust is fairly high but then the standard reading will also be high....MY POINT being that the dyno is still measuring the 'power gain' and thus even if you were on a different dyno that gave 'true' bhp figures at the fly (instead of inflated bhp figures) the standard and milltek dynos would have the same gain in power 'under the same conditions' UNLESS for instance dyno x is a piece of crap to begin with..Anyways lets not be pedantic about it otherwise you will never be happy ;)

Anyways make sure you get your car done before/after when you get your exhaust as if a few of us did it it would save everyone the bother in the future..Is your car standard just now?

I do plan to go back to the same place yes, just getting around to it with work at the moment.
The thing is i admit wont be still 100% acurate as with air temps, mileage is now 5000, so all these things into account, have to +/- 5bhp ..

As soon as i do i will post results up, or if you get yours done before me Mike yours will be interesting reading :)
Ive already uploaded the RRs for my car before/after ecu remap and so will obviously be uploading the results when i get the exhaust on! Cant wait to see your RR though as its a good comparo from standard to milltek as you were getting 185.4bhp standard and i was 183bhp so it will give an idea of how much power it would have added to my car as standard :)

Anyone interested in a Miltek system we are trying to get another group buy through Lohen.....

So register your interest here
http://www.mini2.com/forum/lohen/162363-gauging-interest-milltek-exhaust.html#post3550543

The more people we get together the better the discount!!

Cheers
Ken
Sounds great , i will def sign up right now!

·
Registered
55 Posts
my dads standard cooper s made 189.9 on Surrey rolling road, now we have fitted the full Miltek system with sports cat and also the Alta foam induction kit.

We are going back to the same rollers tomorrow to see what if any gains we have achieved. :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts