MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ive got a MINI HATCH R50 COOPER 1.6L W10 B16 A SOHC 16v MPFI 4cyl 85kW 5sp Man 3dr Hatchback FWD [01/02 - 12/07] & the clutch has had it!

I've read and investigated about replacement and figure it's a 10hr job, my question arises regarding the flywheel (assuming I may need to change this at the same time) What type of flywheel / part #, I've got mixed messages; Some say its a DMF and others single!!??

Please help.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
i would be sure its the flywheel before replacing it, the gen 1 r50 mini have a bad habit of destroying its own gearbox and can sound and feel like a clutch issue at first,, i would before drop the gearbox oil in to a clean plastic container and see how much metal is in the oil, even i have dmf on petrol that make no power they go for a lot longer than a diesel say, ie when remove box turn centre plate all way clockwise make a two marks ie one on centre part one on outer part then rotate the centre plate as hard as can and mark the travel, ie 50mm is not to bad 100mm in totally gone,, also the float can be measured with a DTI dial test indicator ie 180 degrees from where you push on centre plate place tester and a good flywheel will have no more than 3mm travel, if can hardly of cannot rotate centre plate its screwed,, also on the face if looks cracked or purple but only on spots it nailed as well

1 - 3 of 3 Posts