MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gonna say bye bye to my MINI i think, and buy a ford focus the simple reason is my girlfriend is expecting a baby nd the MINI will not be good for that lol

what do you guys think

brought my MINI ONE black 54 plate in May 2008 35.300k on clock, £8.499

seen a ford focus same mileage as MINI same Year for £5.995

do you think ford will take my car for a exchange for the focus and give me value differnce

because the MINI is worth well more than the focus

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
utter madness, i had a focus there horrid, you'll regret it, if your binning the mini at least go for something better than a ford focus. HORRID HORRID HORRID and i had a fully loaded special edition with full leather, i still couldnt wait to get rid of it.

I can understand wanting a bigger car because of the baby but a focus!!!! buy a big toyota or something dont go ford or vauxhall, pap cars unless you go top end sports models.

·
Registered
51 Posts
totaly agree with that, boring bland cars imo.
why not get a clubman, dont they have more room etc.
if not surley a megane 1.9dci or something, they are a nuce looking car and with that diesel engine they shift aswell.

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
Having a baby is no reason to change from a MINI to a Focus, there is plenty of room in a MINI :D

As to the Focus, it is a good car despite the 2 posts above.
I hired one in the UK last year and was very impressed with it.
OK it is not a MINI, especially on roundabouts, but it is a good car.

·
24hr
248 Posts
Agreed, it's not a MINI but it's a very good family car. I had one for couple of years and put well over 120 k on it and it never missed a beat. Stay away from most Ford dealers if possible when it comes to service time and you shouldn't have any problems.
Not sure they will take the mini and give you the difference in the current climate but you can only try ?
As an alternative to the Focus and Astra etc have you had a look at an Audi A2 ? Much better build quality than the focus and it's ilk (and a bit better than the MINI) and very cheap to run, being excellent on fuel and only needing a service every 25-30k. A proper tardis car with loads of room for 4 adults (or a baby seat) and a surprisingly big boot. Rear seats can be folded and removed like a suitcase giving a huge load space for a small car. 1.4 tdi goes well and never does less than 45mpg (usually around 55-60 mpg) or the 1.6 Fsi is pretty good on fuel and has decent poke as the car is so light .
Your budget should get you into a 2003 car with 20 to 40k on the clock with SE spec so aircon, CD etc.

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
With the car market being as it is, the dealer may take the Mini in px against the Focus, but don't expect to get any cash back. They will want at least a couple of thousand profit on the Mini when they sell it.
I would say keep the Mini, and see how it goes, you may find you get on OK with it and the baby. If you buy the Focus you will lose even more money when you try and sell it in 6 month because you are bored of it.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
If you're only expecting one baby, and it's not a giant, then the MINI is more than enough. We did it up until the age of five, from zero, with MINIs as the only car. Never an issue. There's an entire forum here devoted to the subject!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys for the replys will defo think about that now i know the MINI is worth way more i think ill keep the MINI for now and see how it goes, i dont want to get rid of the MINI, i was thinking about a megane becaues you can pick them up cheap

·
Oh good grief!
5,277 Posts
thanks guys for the replys will defo think about that now i know the MINI is worth way more i think ill keep the MINI for now and see how it goes, i dont want to get rid of the MINI, i was thinking about a megane becaues you can pick them up cheap
Seeing as this is a MINI forum did you really think anyone here would tell you to go out and buy a focus or megane! ;)

If you want a cheap car get a KIA or something. If you want something you'll get noticed in and is a bit of fun keep your MINI! ;)

As Paul said more than enough room in a MINI. In fact we have only just swapped from a Cooper to a Clubman as the kids are now in their early teens and need that bit of extra legroom !

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
I've gone from 0-2 with the Mini & now a second on the way will still be keeping the Mini.
Careful selection of pram etc (see the relevent forum) & there is no problem

·
Registered
59 Posts
Baby on the way

Hi

I have a five year old boy, who still has a booster seat and I have an 11 year old and they fit in my mini one, no problem at all. It is usually just me and the boys in the car so we have plenty of room but even when my husband is in with us we do have enough room....granted my hubby and I aren't the tallest of people so our seats are further forward than most would have them, but we have no issues at all even on a long journey :smile:

I think you will be fine with a baby and as long as you choose your car seat and pram/buggy wisely I can't see you having too many problems. I see loads of people driving mini's with babies/small children, so there you go you can keep your wonderful MINI :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

·
Registered
30 Posts
i used to have a mk 1 shape focus and it was an excellent car. the best steering feel/handling for a car of that size, and in the 60,000 miles it never ever let me down, and servicing was dirt cheap, and as i bought wisely (buying when 8 months old i didd'nt loose much in terms of depreciation. who cares if it isnt as well built as a golf or some others, you arnt living in it.
I think people are unfair on fords as they are bread and butter popular cars. All i can see thats wrong with the focus is that it doesnt attract attention.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ford offered me £5.500 for my MINI lol i said no thnaks, another dealer offered the same and then 30 mins later they phoned me up and said we had a customer who aked if your car was for sale so we can offer you more money because we know we can sell it straight away they offered me £6000 i still said know i brought it for £8.299 in May 2008 with 33k on clock its only a ONE so wont fetch value as a cooper so for now ill keep the MINI untill they say we have twins lol

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I am sure that you could find room for twins in there ;)

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Wrong choice mate. We've got a 16 M.O. lad, and the MINI as an only car for his entire life. OK, so we have a small pushchair and don't drive around with a travel crib, but who needs that junk. My one suggestion for a newborn - load them in and out of the boot (with one side of the seat folded down) the access to rear-facing childseats is much better that way - and just try that with a Focus.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd just see how you get on with the MINI. If it's a problem, change to something bigger. For now though, save yourself the hassle.

Congrats on the news by the way :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts