MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to this forum and I need some help.

My friend has a broken Mini 2009 R56 N12 engine. The engine is dead because there was a coolant leak and he continued to ran it for quite awhile. We did a compression test. Cylinder 1, 4 had no compression. Cylinder 2, 3 were fine. I opened the head up. What we saw wasn't pretty. Attached are 4 photos showing the status of the cylinders 1,4:

Cylinder 1 is the worst. In the Head 1 photo, the intake valves did not seat properly. One of the seat is crack and broken. There are also metal debris at the top and bottom of the photo. It looks like the piston got smashed up against the cylinder head. See also the photo for cylinder 1.

Cylinder 4 is as bad as 1. The exhaust valves did seat properly. The top and bottom of the photo for the head also shows some sign of piston smashing up the head because there are metal debris.

What is our best course of action? Buy a used rebuilt engine or repair this one? Is it worth it to repair this?

We are at Montreal West Island. My friend he just bought the Mini used. Now that it is broken. He doesn't have too much money to repair it. What are his options?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the Piston hit valves there can be all kinds of issues,from bent crankshaft to bent rods.definiteley want to check that out,if a used engine is less than say reman head and gasket,labor then used engine is definitely the way to go

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
i've repaired hundreds of them after timing chains have failed and hit pistons all repaired fine with new valves as valve stems are soft and take the energy also the piston crowns are very hard takes a lot to damage them, what you have got is a valve seat damage so that needs replacing ie they are inserts can be removed and new fitted but must be done by a engine builder as a fair bit of machine work needed, i have repaired them when even the owner said they were in red line revs and it snapped and did bend every valve the valve seats are chrome surfaced and the valve heads are machined so good normally can just drop them in and off you go as long as seat not damaged,, but always do a petrol in the ports check after ie see if any valves leak if do then must be lapped in. if you car was the diesel engine then it would be toast for sure, i would stick a drop of diesel in the bores see if it leaks away after 5 minutes or not if dont then would say chances are the rings are all good, if car has been run with that damage for to long etc chances are 02 sensor and cat might be nailed as well, if car over 60.000 miles and not had a timing chain you must do that at same time in fact it could of been that that caused the valve damages in first place ie running retarded

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Depends on if you are doing all the labour work yourselves, as that will most certainly incur the most costs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts