MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, so please be gentle. I am very seriously considering buying a Mini Cooper D to replace my Celica 190. It's will be used as a everyday car, mostly motorway driving doing approx 15k miles a year. Can any new mini owners tell me what the car is like on the motorway, is it refined and quiet ,or boomy? My current car is like a tank on the motorway, so much road/tyre noise it's doing my head in , hence looking for a new car.

I went to see the mini last weekend, and they do look special. However, I was disappointed in the boot size, and the interior is very plasticy...even more so than my Celica which jap cars are renown for. But the cost saving are too good to be ignored, £35 tax, 60MPG, low insurance, no servicing costs for 5 years with tlc.

I'm going back this weekend for a test drive on a standard cooper...fingers crossed.

Thanks

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
You may have to come back in a few weeks to get the answers to these questions, as the Cooper D is not launched until April 14th, so nobody has any real experience of it yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I met petrol Cooper owners :) But hopefully will test drive one this weekend.

·
Clubman D
1,365 Posts
Welcome to MINI2, just bare in mind that the Cooper will be noisier, yes noisier at motorway speeds than the CooperD will be. Well the old Cooper is a lot noisier than the OneD at motorway speeds, if that is anything to go by, the new Cooper may be more refined with it being 6 speed.
See how you get on with the Plasticy interior, if you get one with leather, or half leather I can't see it being more plasticy than a Celica, but you will have to see once you have had a proper look at one!

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow the petrol is noiser than the diesel...awesome :)..looks like i have to buy one.

The Cooper i saw last weekend did not have any leather seats, just plain cloth. The doors were so plasticy, just a sheet of black plastic,. I expected at least some cloth inserts or something. Just made the car look so cheap inside..a real shame:( .

My next dilemma is, which colour. I like the dark metallic grey on the cooper s, but no option for this on the cooper......and my options lists is growing and growing....with all my wants the mini will cost me £18k....:eek:

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
To get some idea of what the Cooper D might feel like, go to your local Peugeot dealer and take a 207 Hdi 110 out for a test drive as well; it's virtually the same engine as the Cooper D will have.

Tigger.

·
Registered
101 Posts
interestingly if you go to the official VCACarFuelData.org.uk site it may well surprise people to know the following

Noise Level
[dB(A), moving]:

I've included a few others that I test drove or considered for reference.

Golf TDI 170 - 73.0
Cooper S R56 - 74.0
Cooper D - 72.0 :D
BMW 120d - 74.0

And as I understand it isnt dB a logarithmic scale?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Triffid
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing