MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People,

Can anyone who has been unfortunate enough to have a crash in their MINI answer the following question?

During the crash, did your side-airbags deploy?

cheers
Marsh

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fortunatley I haven't, however, the side ones would inflate but it would be dependent on the point and type of impact as to when?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi AER,

Yes, the side air bags only deploy in particular circumstances, dependent on the nature/angle of the crash. My concern is that I believe people have been in crashes of a severity and at an angle where you would expect the side-airbags to activate and they haven't. I am beginning to worry there is some sort of sensor/software glitch, which could prove to be lethal. I would feel a lot better if someone who has been in a severe crash could reassure me that their side air-bags have deployed.

cheers
Marsh

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
have a look around the threads
there are a few piccis of crashes and interior pics show that the side bags did not deploy but I believe that was the angle of the impact more than a sensor and the impact

Had a huge front end smash when i was taken out in the elise a few years ago and the airbag didnt deploy then

oh yeah, no airbags in the elise lol !

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Paul_Mullett said:

Why do you believe this, is there something you have heard?
Hi Paul,

No, it isn't something I have heard. I have been looking at some concern at the various photos that have been posted after a crash. I then re-read all threads concerned with MINI crashes. I have also trawled through threads which describe intermittent warning lights for air-bags.

At least some of the crashes described should have seen the side air-bags inflate. side-swipes, summersaults, hitting the central reservation of a motorway etc. I think people have survived these crashes because of the inherent strength and rigidity of the MINIs design and construction, despite the side air-bags not deploying.

It might be paranoia, I hope it is. However, try and get a straight answer from BMW to the question of potentially faulty side-air bags and you can't.

cheers
Marsh

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
The airbag light was on in the oz cooper snoopy drove too. Mind you, If you look at most shots of the inside of the car in the MINI brochures, there's the airbag warning light glowing away...weird!!.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts