MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask a few questions really.

1) Can I trigger the alarm on my MINI. I ask this because I noticed I can lock the car and leave the window open without anything happening. So in theory a thief could come up to the car, simply reach in and take whatever he/she fancied and nothing would happen.

2) Why is the passenger window not one-touch up?

3) If I take my key to the dealer can they reprogram it so that the locks do not lock at 13mph (anti theft feature) and could I make them add something more useful to the car. i.e. when you get out if you want to lock the car and close all windows you press the lock button twice and on the second press hold the button. Any such features available?

Thanks for reading:cool:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask a few questions really.

1) Can I trigger the alarm on my MINI. I ask this because I noticed I can lock the car and leave the window open without anything happening. So in theory a thief could come up to the car, simply reach in and take whatever he/she fancied and nothing would happen.

2) Why is the passenger window not one-touch up?

3) If I take my key to the dealer can they reprogram it so that the locks do not lock at 13mph (anti theft feature) and could I make them add something more useful to the car. i.e. when you get out if you want to lock the car and close all windows you press the lock button twice and on the second press hold the button. Any such features available?

Thanks for reading:cool:
If you put your hand through the open window the alarm should go off.

The auto door locking can be turned off by your dealer, but it's chargable.

The reason the passenger window doesn't have one touch auto up is because it does not have the anti-pinch sensor fitted to save money.

As far as I am aware there is no option to have the windows go up by double pressing the key, only to have comfort opening enabled by your dealer. However, if you lock the car then put the key in the door and hold it in the lock position, the windows will go up if they are open (you have to hold the key there until the windows are fully closed).

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
On the second generation cars, I think you can set it to not auto lock when you drive off yourself

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
'matfrost' is right, if its a 2nd Gen MINI (Sept 06 > ) then you will be able to programme the locking feature yourself, as well as things like 'follow me home' lights where your headlights can stay on for a set amout of time after locking the car, or how many flashes the indicator does (1 or 3). If its a 1st Gen (01 > 06) then a dealer would need to do it as they plug it into their computer and reset it that way, they will probably try and charge you for it though, unless you know how to sweet talk them into it for free, or they are feeling generous (it takes no time at all to do it, I know I had it done on my ONE ;)) I also had the first one set to unlock just the drivers door when I pressed the remote, then when I pressed it again it opened the passenger door. :)

As for the window being open and the alarm, something would have to trigger the sensor inside the car (on the roof) and that will set it off. Everytime ive had a new car ive purposely set mine off to make sure it works, and I do it by sticking my arm in :eek: :p It als works on movement/tilt sensor as well, thats why being on a ferry will often set it off :D

One touch up passenger window? My new Cooper S (June 08) has it as standard ;) however the earlier cars dont, neither do 1st gen MINIs. You can buy the wiring to do it on 1st gen though from Mikey ---> NewMINIStuff.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I should be worried then because I locked mine and left the window open. Reached in and pressed the door lock button opened glove box etc...AND NO ALARM!!!! Its an 05 btw. Forgot to mention.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
They weren't standard fit. If you have one, you will have a flashing red light on the indicator stalk. I wouldn't waste your time getting a quote - it came to about £900 for me - you need a new roof lining apparently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So all I have is useless locks?

Jeeeze I hope I never forget to close the window....

I gotta say thats pretty poor not having an alarm as standard.

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
They weren't standard fit. If you have one, you will have a flashing red light on the indicator stalk. I wouldn't waste your time getting a quote - it came to about £900 for me - you need a new roof lining apparently.
That's right. On the 1st gen MINIs (01-06) the One and Cooper did not have an alarm as standard, but the Cooper S did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts