MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Mini, Kids, and Booster seats??? (Yeah, I am serious...)

OK, any of you current Mini owners out also own a kid or two??? How is the fit in the back seat for Booster seats and kiddies??

Don't Laugh I am serious... While we mostly tote the kids around in my wife's Volvo V90, I do drop them at school on a regular basis....

I know my two year old will get a kick out of the handling and the 5 year old thinks it's as cute as her Barbie New Beetle :D

I am 6'4" so the drivers seat will most likely be pushed all the way back..

I will be purchasing a mini... I just wonder if I should plan on keeping my 98 Jetta TDI as well???

·
Registered
32 Posts
this was a major issue for me as I have 2 kids (3 months old and 6 years old). The only way to get the 6 year old in was behind the passenger seat. I could sit in the front and she was ok in the back with her booster seat. This was totally impossible in the driver side.

I am fairly confident that the baby seat will go behind the drivers side. I am testing this on Saturday when the whole family will have a go. If you have two older children I think you will really struggle.

My next problem is a buggy for the baby that will fit in the boot. May have to chop one to fit. I know someone who does this to get one in a 911.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Back seat isn't a problem for under 2's or over 7's in between those ages and kids legs don't bend in the right place. A booster cushion or junior seat may help but at 6'4" I doubt it, try sitting them cross legged, it works for me and they think they're getting one over on you having their feet on the seat, (take their shoes off first!)

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
181 Posts
Hey, I think this is a very important factor in my purchase of a MINI. I have a 3 year old and she's kind of tall (38 inches already and she just turned 3!). We normally drive our Mazda 626 with her in the car seat (middle) but, I know we will want to use the MINI when we get it for some family outings. I am pretty concerned and have also been keeping my eye on the Mercedes C230k since it has a lot of rear seat room and is also a very nice machine.

I know the original Mini has more rear leg room and I think they are too cool but, since I live in the US, the Mini is not the greatest option for a primary car.

I'm waiting for the MINI to get here so I can see first hand just how roomy they are. Since I'm #30-ish on the waiting list I have a little time to make up my mind. They should be here at the end of February so, not much longer to wait to find out first hand!

-Mike

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have 2 boys who never complain. one 4 years other 8 years old.

They would rather be in the MINI than my boring family saloon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Blade929:

Which one sits behind the driver and how do they fit their feet behind the drivers seat? There was not enough room for my smallish 6 year old.

What child seat are you using?

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Smaller one behind driver on a Booster cushion.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Kids and car seats

I have two children (2 and 4) and we use Recaro Start child seats which fit nicely into the MINI, use the standard belts and are fully adjustable right up to age 12. As the Recaro lifts the child up quite high off the MINI seat there seems to be plenty of room for legs to dangle. The Recaro's are expensive but the cost is offset by the fact that you can use them for so many years. Plus they're proper metal frame seats with breathable fabric cushioning - not the usual moulded plastic with a thin polystyrene padding.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Recaro START Prices

The basic seat sells for about £165-170 and the (optional but recommended) head restraint adds about £30.

Not cheap, but the seats are fully adjustable and seem much better value than the plastic and polystyrene things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts