MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Engines will not be a problem Ian - the major components of the MINI engines (cylinder head, crankshaft, crankcase and con-rods) are manufactured at Peugeots plant in Douvrin, but actual engine assembly takes place at BMWs engine plant at Hams Hall in Birmingham. This is where all BMW/MINI four cylinder engines are manufactured. Given the economic situation, the four cylinder engines may even see an increased demand, so production should not be an issue.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
According to this recent BBC report UK MINI sales are down by one fifth but US MINI sales have increased :-

BBC NEWS | England | Oxfordshire | UK Mini sales fall by one fifth

Detroit trying to figure out how MINI does it?

"A small car with big profit margins? It may sound like one of those hand-is-quicker-than-the-eye magic tricks, but European automakers do it, and now American marketers are learning how."

"People don't want a cheap small car. They want a really nice small car."

Jim McDowell, the U.S. brand chief for Mini, says there's no question that consumer preferences are moving toward smaller vehicles.
"As we enter the second decade of the 21st century, small is the new black," McDowell says. "Comfortable and enjoyable sustainability is what is 'in trend.'"
Full US Report :-
Detroit dilemma: Big prices for small cars | Car Tech: An automotive blog from CNET - CNET Reviews

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
According to this recent BBC report UK MINI sales are down by one fifth but US MINI sales have increased :-

Detroit trying to figure out how MINI does it?

"People don't want a cheap small car. They want a really nice small car."
1. MINI sales are not just up ... there are a number of us getting semi-regular calls from our dealers asking if we plan on selling our MINIs and if so, will we sell them back to the dealer because they have waiting lists even for used ones.

2. There's a fundamental difference between American and European cars, at least as it's perceived over here ... US auto manufaturers know that more money is made off of replacement parts, so they sell cars that they can make money off of maintenance. Hence, US cars have reputations, even among those who buy them to buy-American, as being crappy cars. People will talk about Honda and Toyota lasting forever, as well as BMW and Merc ... but no one talks about a US car lasting all that long. And people with Euro cars might have to spend $$ when they take it in to be fixed, but the impression is that they go in a lot less often.

So I think US auto manufaturers might want to look beyond the obsolescence factor if they really want a share of the good-car market ... you see 20 year old Volvos, Mercs, BMW's, etc ... but not American cars. That's really how MINI does it ... or any of number of cars sold for durability, length of ownership, quality, etc. That's also one of several factors regarding what helps keep resale value up here on the European cars ...

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
While it is easy to say sales are down I would like to know the mix. I suspect that small premium cars like the Mini will take ever bigger percentage sales. I can't believe the car manufacturers are so out of step, they just keep producing bigger more powerful cars all the time and are still pushing SUV's etc. Once SUV owners get their first taste of depreciation it may well be their last. Losing 50k in two years on a loaded Cayenne is painful even to people who can afford Porsches. Mini values will drop short term but long term they will remain good for what is a mass produced car after all. Peugeot will be grateful for Mini taking as many engines as possible, no chance of Peugot cutting back there against Mini's wishes :) .

Reactions: dalboyne

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't believe the car manufacturers are so out of step, they just keep producing bigger more powerful cars all the time and are still pushing SUV's etc. Once SUV owners get their first taste of depreciation it may well be their last. .
So this is why MINI are about to launch their own SUV??? To buck the market? :eek:

Next thing, they'll be selling the Cooper D in the States :D

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
It's not an SUV though, an SUV in the true sense of the abbreviation is a 'sport utility vehicle'...

Yes, the MINI Crossman/Crossover/whatever :p will have four wheel drive, but it will still use fuel effiicient engines, and BMWs effiicient dynamics (start/stop and brake regeneration) which will be major selling points. There will be a global downturn from the usual Freelanders, X5s and Range Rovers towards economical urban recreational vehicles (URV - have I just invented a new acronym?) and MINI will no doubt get this spot on ;)

Here it is.... officially.... URV ;) Watch this space :D :D :D

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not an SUV though, an SUV in the true sense of the abbreviation is a 'sport utility vehicle'...

Yes, the MINI Crossman/Crossover/whatever :p will have four wheel drive, but it will still use fuel effiicient engines, and BMWs effiicient dynamics (start/stop and brake regeneration) which will be major selling points. There will be a global downturn from the usual Freelanders, X5s and Range Rovers towards economical urban recreational vehicles (URV - have I just invented a new acronym?) and MINI will no doubt get this spot on ;)

Here it is.... officially.... URV ;) Watch this space :D :D :D
Nice one Jon, but to be complete, shouldn't that be MURV (MINI URV)? :D

And if it gets some of the X5-driving people round here into a MINI, then fantastic! (Even better if it improves their attitude to other road-users, and comes with indicators that are fitted as standard and not as optional extras...)

But back to the original topic - so sales are down very much in line with the global trend, despite improvement in the USA? In which case doesn't this mean sales elsewhere are worse hit than the global trend? And I wonder how much of this is down to the arrival of alternatives like the Fiat 500, and how much is due to the economic situation?

Ian

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
But back to the original topic - so sales are down very much in line with the global trend, despite improvement in the USA? In which case doesn't this mean sales elsewhere are worse hit than the global trend? And I wonder how much of this is down to the arrival of alternatives like the Fiat 500, and how much is due to the economic situation?

Ian
could also be due in part in the UK to the fact that MINIs are two-a-penny over in the UK ... so you can get a late-model one for a lot less than a completely new one. And they've simply glutted the market ...

·
Polo GT Owner!
3,938 Posts

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Even plant Oxford has been affected some shifts are being cut back, likely to close earlier for xmas this year too and nearly shut down for a month ;)
Not what I saw at the weekend :confused:

They're still running three shifts a day, 53 cars per hour - aside from the usual weekend shutdown saturday night/sunday for maintenance.

·
Polo GT Owner!
3,938 Posts
Not what I saw at the weekend :confused:

They're still running three shifts a day, 53 cars per hour - aside from the usual weekend shutdown saturday night/sunday for maintenance.
For now...

I know there was certainly talk of cutting work, and closing down much earlier for the christmas period because they don't have many more cars to build this year ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts