MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I've just returned in shock from the mini garage after learning it'll cost thousands to fix my roof.

It turns out to be a problem with the motor, a 'plastic' cog has worn-out, this is a mere thousand dollars to replace. However, the engineer has noticed that the sunroof's making a noise and close to failing. The grand total for these repairs is estimated at $7,000 :aargh:

The car is 3.5 years old (out of warranty), and we've probably used the roof three times a month, giving a grant total of 120 (ish) cycles, in my opinion this is little use for a convertible car roof. As you can imagine I'm a tad annoyed at learning of this latest problem, and trying to understand if this is acceptable?

Strangely one of the cables snapped and has just been fixed, after checking the problem Mini repaired it free of charge, however at this stage no other issues were highlighted to me. I put the roof up and down once before it stopped working again. What I don't understand is why these issues were not flagged when the cable was replaced, and/or why the issues were not fixed at the same time whilst they had the roof in bits.

I'd be interested to learn what others think, and if anyone else had has similar problem, I feel that this many problems is remarkable but am not sure if I should escalate it to Mini.

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
Don't think about it, contact MINI. Especially since the repairs were done by an authorized MINI dealer. More information for you and the ill informed dealership you are having to work with.

Good Luck, I truly hope this ends well. I am purchasing a Cabrio now and would be completely angry as well if the mechanism for the roof became such a problem. It's vital to the car!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in the process of writing a letter to Mini to get their opinion. In all other ways the car has been great, hence we were not looking at replacing it. I guess I took a gamble buying one of the earlier models.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Unfortunately it happens :(

As your in Australia, I guess the $7000 cost equates to around £2k?

In the UK a roof mechanism replacement by the dealer would set you back somewhere in the region of £1500 - so by the time they've shipped the parts over and paid duty on them, that sounds about right unfortunately.

It's worth writing to the MINI head office though, and see if some kind of goodwill gesture could be made. You'd expect the roof mechanism on a premium small car to last longer than 3 years ;)

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
This issue brings to mind something that MINI should consider: An owner servicable soft top. In other words, If a cabrio owner wanted to replace the soft top for what ever reason, they could. Just order the new top/mechanism, get a friend, and install it. Especially if there is going to be sub-outstanding parts used that inevitably will wear down or need replacement.

This is frustrating just thinking about it, truly I empathize with you!!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Just a thought...

Is there anything against taking a warranty out with a third party, waiting a couple of weeks, then claiming for the cost?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I suspect a warranty will not cover any pre-existing conditions (for example, you can't phone up an insurance company from a burning house to get a household insurance policy and then claim for fire damage afterwards). It is 'material fact' which you have to declare when you get insurance.

I guess it only matters if they find out the condition was already there, but it goes against the principles of insurance...

·
Registered
988 Posts
I see what you're saying, but I don't think I'd lose sleep over it ;) These companies take enough money from us! Not in any way condoning fraudulent activities

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the roof is good for 400 ups and downs........trying to get them in before the warranty runs out!

I would be onto MINI Aus asap.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
400 cycles seems a very low figure, so much for top down motoring, particularly whent he US Mini website details a 4 year warranty.

Unfortunatley we get short-changed here in Oz, my car came with a measly 2 year warranty. I've written to Mini so I'll let people know how they respond, but these issues have seriously dented my confidence in car.... looks like the Clubman will be scratched from my next car shopping list.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
400 ups and downs is only your trips back and forth to work for 7 months. that's a horrible figure if the dealer wasn't just talking out his arse. :(

·
Registered
369 Posts
I didn't know that - 400 does seem very low. I've had the car just under a year now and I'm guessing I've used it over 100 times.

My car's in at the dealer now for it's very first service (oil) and I told them about the squeaky roof - let's see what they say (hoping I'm not going to be charged, told them not to do anything chargeable without asking me)

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
Yup I have mine down more than I have it up and yes it does squeek. I have also noticed a few more rattles when it is down recently!

Still love it though, but do expect the roof to go at some point! Sad isn't it!

·
Registered
369 Posts
They told me the squeaky roof is normal and comparable to another convertible MINI they tested so I guess there's not much I can do (maybe get my local garage to oil it a bit as they're cheaper than Scotthall!).

At least they're sorting out the whistling (apparently due to the window needing readjusting) and they think my bluetooth mic is faulty so that's being replaced too :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the roof is good for 400 ups and downs........trying to get them in before the warranty runs out!

I would be onto MINI Aus asap.
I have had my convertible since November 2004 and I abide by the contract that I had to sign saying that I should have the top down 95% of the time. So every day that I have driven it I have operated the roof down and up nearly every time I have driven the car - I don't like leaving it parked with the top down - so I would estimate that I must have opened and closed the roof over 2,000 times in the four years!
400 ups and downs would just be 400 "trips" for me which would be less than a year loking at my average.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Like thebigyin, I've had the top up and down hundreds of times here in Portugal. Its a 06 ONE, with 64k kilos (50,000 miles?) and I must put the roof up and down 3 - 5 times a day!
Only 400 times would be equal to no more than about 15 weeks!!!! A ridiculous small amount.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update....

The garage just called, Mini have offered to supply a complete new roof and motor... I will need to pay for the labour, bringing the cost down to au$2000 which is slightly easier to swallow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts