MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you on the left coast, the TV news had a reporter at the LA Auto Show with a red/white Cooper S. They showed a brief clip of the original Mini, plus the usual hype about the MINI having German and British design elements, Italian brakes, some American seating surfaces, "an international car." (Maybe they will try to spread the blame around for the niggles?) The reporter said it is "the hottest car at the show."

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Mr. Bill,

Are you going to visit the MINI at the show? If so, any info or pictures you can provide of US-spec models would appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, apparently the LA auto show is the US debut of the S. I plan on going to the show, probably on the 12th or 13th. I don't know if I'll be able to get any pics or not, but if I leanr anything interesting, I'll be sure to post it =)

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Someone on the RoadFly MINI forum posted comments about his visit to the LA show. He sat in the S. He may have an email link. Try www.roadfly.com

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if I will go. I've wanted a MINI for almost four years, when I saw it in a magazine and found out it would be coming here. But the devil is in the details and I am put off by the complex electrical system, pulling left and other problems. I'm not going to spend over twenty thousand dollars for something that is going to frustrate me no end with problems and require weekly trips to the dealer. If I see the car up close, my heart might overrule my head. Then it would be deciding if I want to sacrifice my sanity by buying one and entering into a love/hate relationship with it.

I have written of my concerns to BMW three times. I have yet to receive a proper response. This is poor customer relations. Things better change, and soon.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
Someone on the RoadFly MINI forum posted comments about his visit to the LA show. He sat in the S. He may have an email link. Try www.roadfly.com
That site seems about 6 to 8 months behind this one in general MINI information, doesn't it? :confused:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Even better, the official US pricing will be announced either at this show or at the Detroit (or is it New York?) in two weeks. At least, that's the last I heard.

Or was that just a rumor;)

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Yeah, the RoadFly forum is somewhat of a waste. Every time I post a link to something good they delete it. Today in my daily newspaper, The Cape Cod Times, is a photo of the Cooper S at the L.A. Auto Show. The hood/bonnet stripes look nasty! Don't know if I should be happy or distressed that the S is finally here. I may need therapy to get over my ambivalent feelings about buying a car I'm not sure will in good working order. Seems like some sort of self abuse!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Heh, I think I'm in the same boat with Mr. Bill and Cape Cod. After reading all the problems here, I'm seriously rethinking whether I actually want to buy a MINI...except that I really want one. It is basically the only car on the market that has any appeal to me, literally. Even if I had an unlimited budget, MINI would be at the top of my list. Luckily, you need nowhere near an unlimited budget to get ahold of a MINI, but unfortunately it seems you may need unlimited patience =/ Guess I'll just have to wait and see how things go after release here in the US. I'm pretty low down the lists at all my local dealers, so even if I did want to buy one right away, I wouldn't have the opportunity. However now I think that's a good thing, because it means there will be plenty of people ahead of me to test out the product before I have to decide if I want to go ahead and buy one....

PigLick

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
I can't post the pic. because it's in the newspaper and black and white. Would have to scan in on my scanner and it would look bad. I did try a word search for LA auto show, but no good pics. yet. Also tried the Cape Cod Times on line but they didn't have the photo posted.
Maybe this narrative from another forum will help conjure up some mental images at least. I will attempt to enter the url correctly.

S on Autobahn at 137 m.p.h.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
I can't post the pic. because it's in the newspaper and black and white. Would have to scan in on my scanner and it would look bad. I did try a word search for LA auto show, but no good pics. yet. Also tried the Cape Cod Times on line but they didn't have the photo posted.
Maybe this narrative from another forum will help conjure up some mental images at least. I will attempt to enter the url correctly.

S on Autobahn at 137 m.p.h.
You did Good. Sounds like it could be an Alpina Mule !!........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are my pictures!

I went to the VIP preview of the LA Auto show. I have a deposit for the Mini, but have not been too into it since I have never seen one. Well after Friday night I am INTO THIS CAR!

It is so nice! The stripes on the hood of the S look good in person to me. If I want a sunroof I would prefer black top. A white one there with sunroof did not look as nice as the yellow with black top and sunroof. The sunroof blends in so well with a black top car. I have been wanting a crazy color for this car, but the silver with black top looks very crazy to me!(in a good way!)

I am just worried the NC dealer is going to tell me that living in CA will be a problem and only local customers will get the car at MSRP.

I have my name at 2 CA dealers but I bet they will charge over MSRP. The demand to sit in this car was enourmous and it was not even open to the public.

Pictures at http://silvyinla.homestead.com/laautoshow2002.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts