MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone jsut wondering if someone could answer me a question?? iv done 20k in my mini had it from brand new and just been in for a brake fluid change, the cheek of the garage has said my brakes are worn and need replacing. i dont drive hard at all apart from around corners but the mini is renounned for its go cart ability.personnelly i think this is pile of crap, i know im a girl but im not that stupid! has anyone else experience the same?? :angry:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not so surprised to be honest minidriver - I've done 23k miles in my car since new and I've just had to get new discs and pads all round. Have a look at your discs - is there a lip around the edge where the rest of it has worn away? My discs had got really bad, to the detriment of the braking power, but the light saying they needed changing still hadn't come on. Big lip on the discs though, got them changed and they're great again.

Have a look at the spiroslot discs and pads that Roland at GTT sells.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/gt-tuning/115034-new-gtt-spiroslot-brake-discs-now-pics.html
They'll give you a massive improvement in braking power and the price difference between them and getting another set of OEM brakes is neglible. You can also get him to send you them and get a local garage to fit them if you're not close enough to make a trip worthwhile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well - it must be "you need need brakes day today" at BMW.

My R56 Cooper S is in for it's first service - 15K miles (I drive 95% motorway and barely touch the brakes).

When I took it in today they put the key in the machine and it popped up "Front brake pads" - the bloke came out and said they looked about 50% worn so it could be the sensor.

Asked them to check it out but not replace (I'll get a 2nd opinion first I think)

I also mentioned the infamous dashboard rattle and the diesel like sound the engine makes occasionally.

They couldn't hear any rattle and apparently they all sound like diesels from time to time :rolleyes:

I'm off to go pick it up form them shortly - I bet it rattles as soon as I roll off the forecourt

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
MINI brakes are notorious for not lasting too long - UCE says about 25k!

·
Tinkering In The Garage
2,169 Posts
Also just had the same, just put the Mini in for its first inspection and had the brake fluid changed too @ 26k. I knew the front pads were low but didn't expect to be told i needed new discs too. The scary was £344 all in, i said errrmmm ......................NO. I'll do them myself.

Ady :cool:

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Also just had the same, just put the Mini in for its first inspection and had the brake fluid changed too @ 26k. I knew the front pads were low but didn't expect to be told i needed new discs too. The scary was £344 all in, i said errrmmm ......................NO. I'll do them myself.

£344 for discs - what are they thinking! If they think that is acceptable every 26k, they need their heads seeing to! I'll not be getting my brakes done at the dealer. Was that for just the front, or both? Because Chris at Derek Woodman offers them much cheaper!

·
Tinkering In The Garage
2,169 Posts
£344 for discs - what are they thinking! If they think that is acceptable every 26k, they need their heads seeing to! I'll not be getting my brakes done at the dealer. Was that for just the front, or both? Because Chris at Derek Woodman offers them much cheaper!
That was for the front only, i called the parts department and priced them up my self. A pair of standard discs and pads come to £148, the rest of the charge was labour. I'm fairly handy with the spanners so i'll be doing them myself EBC discs and mintex 1144's probably

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Brake discs used to last for many years but with the banning of asbestos brake materials the discs of modern cars have a much harder time, often needing changing with every (or every other) set of pads. Mileage obtained also of course depends on the type of driver you are and the type of journeys you do most.
On my own MINI all the pads and both front and rear discs had to be replaced at under 30,000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts