MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sham's apprentice
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of talk is going on referencing the recent R&T article in which a Cooper blisters through the slalom. What has not been mentioned from that article is the less than stellar braking distance from 60mph - 143 feet!!! I am certainly not impressed with that for a 2500 pound car with 4 wheel disk and abs. Does anyone else find this statistic disturbing? Has anyone seen a road test with braking numbers that differ from this?

Help:eek: I want to get to speed quickly (as I surely will in my S) and I most certainly want to whip the pants off everyone else on the curves, but I also want to be able to stop quickly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't fret Jon, that R&T car was tested on Dunlop Winter Sport M+S tires.

Snow tires are typically stinko in dry performance, including dry stops.

(Makes that 67.6mph slalom speed even more impressive, eh?)

I believe the brakes were sourced from the BMW 3-series parts bin (BruceK will probably chime in on this later-- he doesn't miss anything), so once properly shod, I imagine stopping will be brag-worthy too.

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
I have to say I'm not overly impressed with the braking on my Works but I'm sure it's something a set of Kevlar pads will fix.

I find the brakes fade away much too quick especially from high speed resulting in large amounts of the middle pedal being used to try and stop.

The ABS does seem to kick in a little too eagerly sometimes. A complaint from quite a lot of the tests of the car.

Come on EBC where are those pads?

·
Registered
431 Posts
The breaks on the S are one thing i have always been concerned about. They are the same size as the Cooper discs. The S is Heavier and will have more performance to stop. How will they cope? :confused:

·
4,636 Posts
They aren't bad don't get me wrong but I think the main problem, as with most cars, is cheap brake pads. I think with a replacement set of pads they'll be excellent.

You never know the S may run with different pad compounds over the Cooper anyway.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ginge said:
...I think the main problem, as with most cars, is cheap brake pads. I think with a replacement set of pads they'll be excellent.
My delivered car requires a lot more pedal travel to stop than the early demonstrator - A few people complained that the demonstrator was a bit snatchy.
Still stops admirably though, although I nearly got caught out when a driver over Christmas pulled out of a pub and right out across both carriageways as I was approaching at 50 on a greasy road ;) Didn't stop as well as I expected (Didn't skid either).

Did they change the compounds or the master cylinder on the production cars??

Will the composite pads bite better as well as fade less?
I noticed some fade and burning pad smells doing the Milton Keynes roundabout scene.

Will the composite pads destroy your disks faster?
AFAIK, Ford used "bad pads" as an excuse to bill us for new brake disks and drums on our Ford Ka during it's first service ;)

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Our cooper is a September build car and the brakes are faultless,mind you Anne uses the car more than I do(as I dont get a chance she always has the keys in her handbag),but if they were'nt any good I would have got an ear bashing by now me thinks.:p :p :p

·
4,636 Posts
Well mines Nov build. There's no fault they could just be better in my opinion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Would have to agree - brakes are top notch

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've driven LOTS of cars, and the MINI's brakes are BY FAR the best. In fact, its a bit of a problem when driving a "normal" car again, as you have to remember that it "only" has normal brakes!

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
181 Posts
Once Pagid makes agressive street pads for the Cooper and Cooper S, I'll swap out my pads (once I get my S!), also a set of kevlar or braided lines (cost $100 US) would do wonders for pedal travel. If the brakes were indeed sourced from BMW's 3 series, the kevlar/braided brake lines should be available now. You can also get them in different colors. I am partial to red brake components myself! :D

-Mike

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
RedShift42 said:
I believe the brakes were sourced from the BMW 3-series parts bin (BruceK will probably chime in on this later-- he doesn't miss anything).....
What!? :eek: Chime in? Hey! Wait just a minute! :confused: Is that a good thing?

Anyway, :) it has been reported that the MINI's brakes are from the E46 BMW 3 Series, but I don’t think anything official from BMW has confirmed this (they do try and keep the MINI brand separate from the BMW brand so it wouldn't do to publically say there was actually some parts sharing between the two ;) ). I guess a dealership parts dept. could confirm this?

If its true, and based on the assumption that all BMWs are fitted with very competent braking systems, then the fact the MINI is more than 700 lbs. lighter than the 3 Series, it should mean the MINI's brakes are much more than adequate. I put the poor test result down to the tires.

·
Registered
52 Posts
BruceK said:
What!? :eek: Chime in? Hey! Wait just a minute! :confused: Is that a good thing?
Oop.

Yes, it is a good thing-- the only bad thing was my choice of words.
I blame the hour (it was 03:am when I was posting).
Something along the lines of interject/contribute/verify would have been more appropriate.

If there's people who "chime in," pejoratively-speaking, you ain't one of 'em.

:D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
RedShift42 said:
RedShift42, no offense taken at all - I was just kidding around! Believe me, no need to apologize! :p :p

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Sorry, came to this thread by accident thinking it was about more faults/rejections/etc.... Those threads are just so inspiring;)

Anyway, from my brief experience test-driving a Cooper (on 16"s) near Oxford through some nicely twisting lanes, I can say the brakes are plenty fine. Certainly good enough to make the wife's knuckles turn white, hurtling towards a 90 degree left and braking late & sharp...:D :D :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts