MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
latest mini in and last one on its way home started this one at 2.pm today by 4.30pm head all off and know what other parts it will need,, ie new cat and sensors as old cat was totally burnt away common when timing chain is stretched running retarded and then add burning a lot of oil that increases the temps in the cat turns in to a furnace, people before try'd fitting a new cat and its just melted it away , also last mot it only just went through at a push, i've been asked to mot it as well so when do will take a pick of readings of HC and CO levels etc, this car is 2007 very low miles the timing chain tensioner was at its very last bit of tension form the tensioner well caught not far down the road would of been slipped chain and bent valves for sure, this car will have better piston rings fitted and elring valve stem seals and elring head gasket new bolts and a full timing chain kit with vanos hubs and guides and tensioner etc,,
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Engineering
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Tread
Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Rim Gas Engineering
Hood Automotive air manifold Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike do you ever stop for just 5 mins ?
i have my breaks in between stuff and other ways I guess , summer time I get away a bit or try to lol

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
today finally got the parts been waiting for and starting to put back together as per pics below,, this car has been done at a perfect time no wear on bores or crank camshafts are all good as well this one will make a really nice engine sound engine, extras on this is cat and 02 sensors water pump thermo housing aux belt exhaust clamp and I got mot it as well,
Packing materials Fluid Waste container Plastic bottle Gas
Fluid Automotive tire Material property Gas Watch
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tree Gas Electric blue
Gas Engineering Font Electric blue Audio equipment
Liquid Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design
White Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim
Automotive tire Gas Electric blue Liquid Automotive wheel system
Automotive engine gasket Automotive tire Gas Auto part Engineering

Reactions: Oakleyguy

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always enjoy the putting back together bit , it is so satisfying. 👍
its that bit when its all back together and running right that gets me lol.

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
today have it nearly all back together just left with the front slam panel and wheel and arch etc drop it on its wheels and take for mot after a few hours of running outside with live data running and ensure its all playing right, i did run it for 40 minutes before i went home it started right away and just sat idling lovely sounds all good so far , no leaks anywhere zero crankcase fumes so all good so far, fitted new cat and ntk 02 sensors new water pump and thermo housing old one had 2007 on it so old type 112c , i used a febi that is 104c latest spec I always paint the tins looks tidy etc, pic of sump all cleaned out etc,
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door
Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Motor vehicle
Yellow Font Wire Plastic Gas
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have my breaks in between stuff and other ways I guess , summer time I get away a bit or try to lol
mike1967 , hi mike
mike1969 , hi mike this sounds like my wife's mini one 1.4 ,59 plate with 69k just got through mot today with hc and co high , just started showing signs of burning oil , how much do you charge for the above repairs . regards mike

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mike1967 , hi mike

mike1969 , hi mike this sounds like my wife's mini one 1.4 ,59 plate with 69k just got through mot today with hc and co high , just started showing signs of burning oil , how much do you charge for the above repairs . regards mike
will private message you

Reactions: mickj1810

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mike1967 , hi mike

I have messaged you

·
Registered
150 Posts
And me.....until I realise I have extra bits leftover. :LOL:
When I was an apprentice there was one particular bloke I hated working with I did not particularly like his character however there were occasions when there were things left over ,he would call these hurling bolts . In the workshop where I work now there is always a pile of bolts left over as a lot of them are renewed as part of the repair ,I feel it sometimes takes longer to look up the parts req than do the job . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I was an apprentice there was one particular bloke I hated working with I did not particularly like his character however there were occasions when there were things left over ,he would call these hurling bolts . In the workshop where I work now there is always a pile of bolts left over as a lot of them are renewed as part of the repair ,I feel it sometimes takes longer to look up the parts req than do the job . :rolleyes:
yep many stretch bolts for the scrap bin

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
finally today had this car running for 2 hours outside on idle just sat there temps go to 108c fan cuts in until temp comes back to 104c all pipes firm but not hard ,, after 2 hours I gave throttle a blip ie see if get any smoke and zero no blue smoke also the oil filler cap pulled that off for two seconds and zero smoke from there as well,, engine has the normal injector ticks nothing else ,, this car was done at just the right time ,,tomorrow or day after I will take it mot and see what the emissions are now,, i will tomorrow reset the adaptions again from cold and repeat the run time ,, i also screen shot some live data all seems about what i would expect,, only thing it might need at some point is a dose of injection cleaner ,,
Light Rectangle Font Screenshot Line
Light Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

can notice the 2 degree and 1 degree on vanos positions the reason behind that is i always fit new vanos sprockets when i do these and they take time to bed in and a few miles or even days i bet if i were to read this again after 50 miles both would match ,, in fact this screen shot was taken when car was at 96c and by time i shut car off hour later they did match each other so anther one sorted , and nearly ready to go home,

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike your like the mini surgeon, they come in sick, a bit of spanner twiddling and their back too good health ⛑.
Mike do you use febi vanos sprockets ?
no I dont use febi sprockets I use genuine psa ones , from psa £58 each , but I buy the complete kit has everything in it a lot more money, did use FAI for a while until found to many china fakes with FAI wrote on the box but the parts were causing issues down the road,, I buy off a trade counter over the counter and they source from main dealers via another company,, ironically I could do what I do cheaper by buying crap off ebay like some do , but rather have the job right with right parts from the start,, ironically the parts guys get more than what I do lol,

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.