MINI Bought It Back?

• Working on Getting Yours Bought Back?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard stories of MINI buying back cars with problems. I want to know more.

I personally have purchased & owned 3 since they came out here in the US. First, for six months while my first S was built I drove a Cooper. Drove that for 133,000 miles & then bought an R56 early last year. I wanted a Clubman but they weren't available yet. My wife bought a '06 Cabrio S late that year.

Early this year my new S stared having cold-start issues in our wintery weather, and it was getting stiff to shift (6-speed manual) so I took it in to the dealer. A month later I had a new transmission but the cold-start wasn't fixed.

Now that the weather's cold here again the cold-start problem came back a month ago. Took it into another dealer closer to my home where they put in two new ignition coils but that didn't help at all.

Took it back in - been there about ten days now - & they have the head off. Found excessive carbon in the cylinders & intake ports due to what they say is a failure of the new engine's original design to properly filter out oil vapor. There's an updated valve cover assembly to fix this apparently.

I looked at my pistons this morning... there's about 6mm (1/4") of carbon :aargh: burned onto them! That can't be a good thing! I've used nothing but BP Gold (93 octane here in the US) since delivery. Half the US 36,000 miles I've driven have been hiway driving.

If anybody's MINI S has been "bought back" by MINI - for whatever reason - I want to know. I don't trust mine :frown: to last after all the "updates" & dealer work to the important bits.

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
Sorry about your troubles friend. I read your post from the "cold start" thread also. Thanks for posting your issues here. I hope this story ends well.

I wonder how many other MINI owners in the USA are dealing with this Cold Start problem?

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
Since the regulations are different in each country, I added a US flag to your post.

But to answer your question, I don't know of any MINIs returned under the lemon law.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've heard stories of MINI buying back cars with problems. I want to know more.

I personally have purchased & owned 3 since they came out here in the US. First, for six months while my first S was built I drove a Cooper. Drove that for 133,000 miles & then bought an R56 early last year. I wanted a Clubman but they weren't available yet. My wife bought a '06 Cabrio S late that year.

Early this year my new S stared having cold-start issues in our wintery weather, and it was getting stiff to shift (6-speed manual) so I took it in to the dealer. A month later I had a new transmission but the cold-start wasn't fixed.

Now that the weather's cold here again the cold-start problem came back a month ago. Took it into another dealer closer to my home where they put in two new ignition coils but that didn't help at all.

Took it back in - been there about ten days now - & they have the head off. Found excessive carbon in the cylinders & intake ports due to what they say is a failure of the new engine's original design to properly filter out oil vapor. There's an updated valve cover assembly to fix this apparently.

I looked at my pistons this morning... there's about 6mm (1/4") of carbon :aargh: burned onto them! That can't be a good thing! I've used nothing but BP Gold (93 octane here in the US) since delivery. Half the US 36,000 miles I've driven have been hiway driving.

If anybody's MINI S has been "bought back" by MINI - for whatever reason - I want to know. I don't trust mine :frown: to last after all the "updates" & dealer work to the important bits.
Hi - so did the updated valve cover assembly help?
mine is in the garage at the moment in the UK - just had it de-carboned - sounds like the same problem - but its no good if yours has had a fix and its still doing it? Mine will do the same?

·
Clubbing in Miami
109 Posts
Go to MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring. There you'll find some folks that have been very successful at getting MINIUSA to buy back their defective cars.

Talk to them and see if they can give you tips and contact phone numbers to make things happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my wife's MCS has also got a cold start issue. in -20C the throttle body freezes up and throttle is unresponsive as idle hunts. took it to the dealer for this last winter, got the updated valve cover and the next cold day it happened again. now it's doing it again this year. dealer has no clue, but she's going in to get "fixed" next week.
I'll keep you posted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts