MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
The Muffin Man
1,637 Posts
To echo... this has definitely got to be a bad move for the clubman :( My first initial thought on this were that the MINI is an english car (well... it is built in england anyway), why cater for other countries rather than the MINIs home country? :(

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Another stupid decision on the future of MINI development which gives me concern to what BMW are doing with the brand/car:(

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
I'm not going to conceal my disappointment with this. I was really keen on the car....to the point where I'd even started speccing :) I really didn't thing MINI would do this :(

I quote AA and MINI

“But whatever the layout, the single door on the left will still be long enough to give excellent access to the rear seats – as it is on the three-door MINI.”

I'd really like to see the spokesman from MINI firstly lifting in a 2/3 year old, and then trying to strap them in while leaning through the front door. We've tried it with the old car, and it can be done but it's not something you would want to do every day. I think it will be even harder with the clubman as with more space in the back the baby seat will be even further into the car :( :(

We're in no rush to get another car at the moment so we'll wait for the official reveal. But, as my wife said it's not going to happen loading 2 kids into the back from the roadside.

Up until this announcement I would have said we were pretty much 100% going to get one. I even spoke to our dealer last Monday about placing a deposit. However, if the extra door is on the right only I just can't see us getting one. :(

·
Registered
295 Posts
I must first say that since I live in the U.S. I will be able to get my Clubman with the door on the "sensible side".
BUT
I just have to express my anger at BMW for their stupid excuse for having the door on that side - they sell more cars in countries which drive on the righthand side of the road and it would not be cost-effective to have two versions!!!!
If you tale that argument to its logical conclusion then when are they going to announce that they will not be producing a RHD version of the car at all because it's not COST-EFFECTIVE !!!!?????!!!
The solution is so simple - make the suicide doors on BOTH SIDES. Mazda worked it out on the RX-8 and it has been a great selling feature - it is the basis of of the TV commercials for the RX-8 with the guy being "hugged" by the two doors.
Surely BMW could have worked out how to relocate the Fuel Filler - they did it on the Convertible versus the hardtop - so that there could be a door on both sides??

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Overall LHD will be the biggest selling MINI variety.

The US is already fast becoming the largest market for the MINI, so combined with other LHD countries such as Germany, the rest of mainland Europe, and many others, the demand will be greater than in RHD countries such as the UK, Australia etc. So they're going where the money is with that one.

I think MINI also expect the Clubman to sell better in the US than other markets anyway, so another justification to cater for that market ahead of any other.

·
Bounty Hunter
54 Posts
I would still buy one, even if the club door is on the wrong side. Its no different to my existing MINI regarding rear access for my 9 year old son, something i am now used too. What will be the main benefits are the larger boot and more legroom for him. Alternatively, i will have a passenger off switch and just stick him in the front seat.

The club door would be a bit of a novelty and certainly not detract from the other benefits. It doesnt bother me tha BMW haven't catered for the RHD market, what will be annoying is we (RHD owners) will still have to pay for a door that we will hardly ever use!!!!!

They should do a cheaper version with no club door... That might sell a bit better in the UK!!!!

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
There you go BMW, a bit of free market research for you; 28 posts, 27 against and 1 that doesn't mind.

So, who was it in the company that decided this was a good idea?

Tigger.

·
In Flanders fields ...
300 Posts
Been following this thread for a while, and even I feel pity for all right hand drivers amongst you ...
Just need to consider that:
- I didn't even notice the inconvenience of the right hand suicide door for you guys, and I 'm very sorry for that :confused:
- MINI allready is, and in the future will remain a BMW brand. R&D and marketing dpt. consider MINI 's a pure GERMAN product. So not considering any reasonable clubman-design changes in favour of the UK market (read: they don't give a sh*t about right hand driving).

I had no trouble with the design so far, but MINI should think about the minority (sorry, you are) of right hand driving customers before launching the Clubman.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Outrageous

Well I now don't have to ponder over "Mini me 3" in it's first year of release and perhaps if the door correction does not appear I won't be buying another MINI.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It is funny how other MINI sites are downplaying this seemingly poor decision in part of BMW's marketing.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Is it the angle the pic was taken from, or does that rear wheel seem too offset to the rear within the arch ??
It's cornering hard and with the new softer suspension, you're gonna get roll.

Still think it looks like a hearse. Shame, it could have been something special, but since the first generation of cars was produced, the bean-counters have been trying to reduce manufactuing costs,

·
Registered
49 Posts
BMW are shameful

The third largest market for BMW after Germany & the US is the UK, the 5 & 7 series dont hjave wipers set up for RHD which trust me leave a blind spot when the screen is dirty or heavy rain. Do they care about the safety of British or Australian children with the clubman? apparently not, ah but they like the colour of our money, BMW should hang their head in shame their abusing RHD markets again.

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
Just to add a slightly different angle to this, I actually believe it is the fault of Rover that this has happened.

Allow me to explain...

Generally (although there are a few exceptions, so please don't feel the need to post pictures that disprove this), cars have the fuel filler cap on the opposite side to the steering wheel; so cars that are designed to be RHD (Japanese cars being the best example) have the fuel filler cap on the same side that the MINI does.

The reason the MINI has it there? Because it was originally designed to be RHD (a point Paul M made recently in another thread).

When the R56 (and subsequently the Clubman) was designed, it was left there, because that's how it has always been, and it was obviously easier to leave it there and work around it.

If the 1st Generation had been designed, from scratch, by BMW, rather than Rover, it would have been designed as LHD (like all BMWs) and the fuel filler cap would have been on the other side.

So, the reason the RHD market has now been "shafted" is because the MINI was designed to be RHD.

By Rover.

So it's their fault! :p

Of course, this raises the question, had BMW originally designed the 1st Generation MINI as LHD, would they have found a way to put the rear door on the side that it has actually ended up on, or would they have done the reverse of the situation we now have and just stuck it on the other side as the cheaper and easier option?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts