MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My mini one warrenty expired in april 2008. In Januaru 2008 i noticed collant leak and the mini emergency road side repair service came and 'repaired' it at work. Great, i thought, as it didnt have to be taken to the garage (half an hour drive away). The guy said it was the thermostat and half hour later left after changing thermostat and topping up coolant. 8 month later i notice coolant is almost completely empty again and now out of warrenty!

Took to dealership who say it is not the thermostat or any other 'exterior' prob (having done many pressure tests) and that they will need to take engine apart to find fault which is most likely to be the head gasket.This will cost about £700!

Not impressed for a car 6 months out of warrenty- is this a recurring problem which Mini should take responsibility for since i identfied it before?

This time when i reported coolant leak they spent 2 hours doing pressure tests- this was not the case in January- how could the guy have been completely sure he had found the cause of the leak? I think he clearly hadnt.

Any thoughts or advise? Dealership are looking into a good will claim where they may contribute but should i have to pay at all if they never repaired the problem originally when i identified it during warrenty?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

My mini one warrenty expired in april 2008. In Januaru 2008 i noticed collant leak and the mini emergency road side repair service came and 'repaired' it at work. Great, i thought, as it didnt have to be taken to the garage (half an hour drive away). The guy said it was the thermostat and half hour later left after changing thermostat and topping up coolant. 8 month later i notice coolant is almost completely empty again and now out of warrenty!

Took to dealership who say it is not the thermostat or any other 'exterior' prob (having done many pressure tests) and that they will need to take engine apart to find fault which is most likely to be the head gasket.This will cost about £700!

Not impressed for a car 6 months out of warrenty- is this a recurring problem which Mini should take responsibility for since i identfied it before?

This time when i reported coolant leak they spent 2 hours doing pressure tests- this was not the case in January- how could the guy have been completely sure he had found the cause of the leak? I think he clearly hadnt.

Any thoughts or advise? Dealership are looking into a good will claim where they may contribute but should i have to pay at all if they never repaired the problem originally when i identified it during warrenty?

Thanks
Have you looked at the oil on your dip stick in broad daylight?Does it appear milky? this condition becomes more pronounced as the temps get colder.If it DOES appear milky,then it's most likely your head gasket is blown!
If that is the case, and the dealer is doing the repair,make sure you tell them to do a first fill with detergent motor oil ( Rizlow"... run it on that for at least 100 miles,then go back for your first actual regular oil fill. This will recondition and clean the oil passages.
Make sure the car is not leaking the anti freeze,place an open cardboard box below the motor after you park it for the night... in the morning check for leaks on the cardboard, don't move the cardboard, just look above the stain.
If the head gasket IS blown, I would look at having the head machined just to seat it perfectly flat!
If you have a compressor you can easily modify a rad cap so you can apply pressure to the antifreeze and force it out.Only attempt this on a stone cold engine, when warmed to operating temps the radiator loop/fluid is pressurized, this test is for cold fluid leak.
Hope this sheds some light for you.:smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi thanks, not got much knowlegde on this so even with your advice ive got to leave it to the delaer / garage to fix ...

oil is not milky... not sure if this alters things/your advice?

does anyone have any advice about the fcat that there was a coolant leak previously- should mini honour the repair? thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts