MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day!
Union Jack roof decors on my mini have all cracked and faded.
Please could anyone help me with regards supplying and fitting new ones!
There are plenty of "Originals!" on ebay which are cheap to purchase but are these any good?
They claim fitting is easy but I have my concerns about removing old ones and doing a good job fitting the new ones propperly..

I live in Mansfield (Nottinghamshire) -Does anyone know of a local company that would supply and fit!
(and how much!)

many thanks for your help Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mini Motor vehicle

· Registered
2003 R53 Liquid Yellow and 2012 R58 Coupe Cosmos black
144 Posts
It's removing the old one that will be the ball ache.
You will need a steamer, a plastic scraper and a bucket full of time and patience.
My r53 has a checkered roof and it is as cracked as an elephants ball bag. It took me two hours just to remove two squares (18 left to do).
I tried a steamer and an hot air gun. The steamer was the most effective, It helped to remove the adhesive as I removed the vinyl using the scraper. Because the vinyl is cracked it is brittle and only comes away in flakes depite being softened by the heat.
The hot air gun softened the vinyl but let behind all of the adhesive making a right sticky mess.

Gerry

· Registered
13,590 Posts
above link works well on the glue residue the surface needs to be clean from dirt and polish etc, also worth using a panel wipe just before putting new sticker on, the devil is in the detail, dont know where you are but if in southwest england worth contacting black magic as they do custom wrapping and window tints etc the two lady's who do are very good and no stress etc, contact number in my signature, some people do it dry some do it with water and some fairy in it spray bottle and push the water out the fairy has a effect to help glue to bond i was told. i've done loads of bonnets and roofs over the years and some just fall on some are a royal pain in backside and you end up so wound up at end of day its just easier to let someone who understands it from start to finish better, also limits the ricks of needing more stickers or wrap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.